Used 48 w/b

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Shaun13, May 15, 2008.

1. Shaun13

Shaun13 LawnSite Member

I'm looking at a used 48' Exmark. What are somethings I need to look at when trying to find out if it's worth the cash? The guy is asking $600 for the mower. I know the obvious year model, engine hp, belt or hydro and hrs but is there anything else I should be looking for? It's the exmark with the 3 white stripes on the left side of the deck.

2. CutApproved

CutApproved LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Check for leaks, check the engine oil. You can sometimes tell if its been kept up. (sometimes)
    Also but not often if the bottom of the dipstick (at the tip) is "burnt" that usually means the engine has been pretty hot and this is usually caused by low oil levels.
    Check to make sure the engine is not smoking too.

Thats just my opinion.

3. KevinACrider

KevinACrider LawnSite Member

I just picked up a used 48" Exmark WB this morning as well. It was also the one with the 3 white stripes on the deck.

I was wondering if these mowers have a low oil sensor that will not allow them to start if the oil is low? It ran fine all day but when I tried to start it when I got home it wouldn't start. It finally shot a flame out the exhaust but still would not start. Oil is fresh but did appear low so I stopped trying to start it. What oil do these generally take?