used 60" Dixie Chopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bscill, Sep 30, 2003.

1. bscill

bscill LawnSite Member
    from KY

Wanting to know what you guys would pay for this?

I know someone that has a 60" Dixie for sale due to some motor problems. They ran the mower with no oil in it. I know that it will need a crank, 2 rods, and 2 pistons to fix. I am not sure what size the motor is, cause I haven't been able to see it yet. I was just wanting to know what you guys would pay for the mower as it sits, not fixed. Thanks for your input.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I would only say $1,000 to $1500 MAX. If the engine is TOAST, DON'T waste money rebuilding it. You can have a NEW Kohler 25hp for $1700 or less. There's not much in the CV series that's worth rebuilding. If it were the old Magnum, then yes theres an engine that could be worth it.

Anyway,..... Thats the maximum that I would give because your going to be putting at least $2000 into it to fix it back up.

I'd say unless you can get it for my price range, just skip over it.

If he ran it without oil in the engine,.....what other maintenance items did he skip over?

3. bscill

bscill LawnSite Member
    from KY

It was used as a homeowners not commercial. The guys grandfather has altemizers (think this is how to spell it) and he was changing the oil and forgot to put any back in it. I don't know the maintance schedule on this unit, but his price range is in your ballpark. Thanks.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

What year?

2001 + Newer....Get it.

If not, skip it.

5. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

Where is this DC? I might be interested in it if you don't purchase it.

6. bscill

bscill LawnSite Member
    from KY

Not sure what year it is, but I am going to look at it tonight when I get done today. Thanks Mr Gamba for your helpful input.

7. bscill

bscill LawnSite Member
    from KY

Dmc456,
    The mower is in Benton, Ky. We are about 3 hrs from Louisville, I will let you know what the verdict is after I look at it.

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

:confused: Did John Gamba post a reply to this thread? If so, I cant see it.

I'm a bit confused. :confused:

9. bscill

bscill LawnSite Member
    from KY

Sorry about that TLS, didn't pay ant attention to the name just your picture by the name. Again so sorry.

10. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

No problem.

Just didn't know if I missed something, or if he PM'd you or something.

Although our pictures may be of mowers from the same manufacturer, they're not the same.

In person, you would NEVER mistake John and I :D

I'm not nearly as handsome as John thinks he is! :D :D :D :D