Used a milk jug for storing gasoline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ColePyck, Apr 1, 2004.

1. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Mixed up some 50:1 in a milk jug for tempory use the other day, now the jug seems weaker, is it ok to use the fuel still or is it eating away at the insides of the milk jug? Not a big deal I will probably throw it out just wondering.
  2. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

Yes the gas will disolve/ melt the plastic in the milk jug, If your not careful it will stop up what ever you use this gas in. Had a friend learn this from experience
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Its against the law to put any type of fuel in a non-approved container.
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

spend the 3 bucks on a 2 gallon tank
  5. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Thanks officer dan but I just did it for a quick fix.
  6. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

im glad your thinking, definitly throw away the gas the plastic has most likely contaminated the fuel. Trust me on this one, gas is a very dangerous material to mess with (received Third degree burns to arms and chest in gasoline fire, NOT FUN)
  7. ColePyck

ColePyck LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

Thank you. Im on my way to meijer now to buy a gas can, I just got home and my EB7001 was on my doorstep, want to fire it up!
  8. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I get the feeling we may hear more about this guy in the Darwin Awards in the future.
  9. Colorado Mowerboy

Colorado Mowerboy LawnSite Member

The scary part is "throw away". Where might you throw a gallon of gas and not polute?
  10. Has anyone here had this type of trouble from using a plastic gas can (the approved types)?

I have not experienced any trouble myself, but my father-in-law said it was the cause of a ruined carb on one of his mowers and insists on only using metal cans.

Personally I don't think it is a problem as long as you don't let the same gas sit in the can for more than 30 days what do ya'll think? :confused: