Used ACE brand fertilizer and now the grass is dead?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by flyerman, Sep 26, 2005.

1. flyerman

flyerman LawnSite Member

I used a few bags of ACE brand fertilizer and now 1/2 of my front lawn is yellow or dead. Can anyone explain wh this might happen? I live on Long Island in New York.

2. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds as if you put the fertilizer on too heavily and/or didn't get water down quick enough. High nitrogen quick release fertilizers tend to burn the turf much more easily than fertilizers with lower nitrogen levels, higher slow release percentages, or are organic - which are rather low in nitrogen.

When spreading fertilizer, especially the high nitrogen quick release types, you cannot allow mistakes in spreading it. Sometimes a fertilizer spreader will stick open, or in other situations you might put down too much by overlapping, or turning. This is not uncommon.

Bottom line is that I wouldn't blame the fertilizer. If the fertilizer was put down too heavily you'll probably notice that on the outside of the burnt areas there is lush green grass. This grass got the optimum amount of nitrogen applied. Dog urine in grass acts the same way, it can burn a spot, but on the outside of the spot the grass gets dark green because of the "not too much, but more than nothing" situation.

3. Grandview

Grandview LawnSite Gold Member
    from WI

You can apply quick release nitrogens at five times the recommended rate and still not burn your lawn. You obviously had spills. Always use a good broadcast spreader.