Used Aerators - Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by ToddH, Feb 11, 2013.

1. ToddH

ToddH LawnSite Silver Member

2. LandFakers

LandFakers LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

Have you looked at Ryan at all? I just rent from the local guy and he gives me the same one each time and its great. Dont know which model it is, but its nice.

3. ToddH

I know they are nice units. I have dragged my feet on making a purchase because of one bad account that cost me some money.

I am thinking at this point to buy used rather than rent and build up the business then buy a nice split drive.

4. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

You definitly want the split drive, we rent also but I've used a classen split drive and I knew right then it was what I wanted when I did purchase, you can get decent classen units from home depot they sell their rental units at some point, but they're not split drives.

5. ToddH

The Classen I found on craigs list is not a split drive either.
    I may just buy the cheap Blue Bird for 400 and use it a while then buy new once I build up clients. No one wants to run the things from the rental place.

I have a job lined up for thursday and several more in the pipe so I have to have something.

I am not sure if someone local has one to purchase new. Will go look. I am kind of beat up after I had an apartment complex stiff me for 8K.

6. newguy123

newguy123 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Lesco, kind of an older style with a 4.5 Briggs. They do a good job, kinda takes some muscle to throw it around though.

7. ToddH

No kidding. Guys call in sick when they hear we are aerating. :waving:
    I have one guy that will run it but he is smallish and it wears him out. I have two guys that are pretty old. They are good workers and very experianced. Will work mowers, whips and blowers all day but lots of physical work will break them down and I do not want to do that to them.

I sure as heck am not going to do it.

8. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Ive got a Bluebird 530a, looks identicale th the pics on cragslist. Its tpugh and I agree its tough on the operator.

I go with the 400$ unit, if you want to upgrade later you should beable to get your money out of it.

9. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

8K OUCH! that would put me under.hopefully you've got them in court?

10. ToddH

At this point, being in a pinch I tend to agree. I can up grade later.