1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Used Badboy 5000zt, any good?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by tdvries1, Mar 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. tdvries1

tdvries1 LawnSite Member

Hi, Looking for a ZTR for a while. I need to mow about 4-6 acres/week. My budget is limited to approx $3,000. Now I've come across (craigslist) a used Badboy 5000ZT 2010 with 180 hours for approx. $3,000.

Would it be better to buy a young Semi professional (Briggs Pro engine, 3100Hydro-gear drive, 7-gauge deck) like the Badboy, or should I go for a $3,000 new Toro, Dixon, or likewise? Your advise is appreciated.

Nearest Badboy dealer is 40 miles out, but I can do regular maintenance myself, so that should not be a problem.

Any specifics I need to pay attention to when visiting the guy that's trying to sell the Badboy? Any specific 'weak' points for the Badboy?

Ps. I'm new to this forum, but already learned a lot from reading other posts!

2. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never heard of a 5000ZT Badboy? But from the sounds of it, perhaps it is a just a 50" ZT? If that is the case that really is not the mower for you especially with the hours clocked on it. I really don't think there is a mower is your price range that will handle your needs of 4-6 acres, That is quite a bit of land for a homeowner mower that your are looking at. The ZT is probably rated about 2-2.5 acres. It will work, but the machine will not last. You need to step into a more commercial type unit. You need to look more at say a Badboy Pup or Outlaw. The Outlaw is a 5 acre machine. I would look maybe at a used Commerical unit that may be in your price range and I would say 54"-60" would be an appropriate deck size. Honestly there is really not a brand new machine I can recommend you in the 3K range! The Outlaw starts at about $6500, but will certainly be better to you than the ZT.

3. tdvries1

tdvries1 LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device

4. tdvries1

tdvries1 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the honest answer. This is a link to the badboy website :http://www.badboymowers.com/view/2011-zt
    Indeed it's the ZT.

Btw. The 5 acres is devided over 4 lots and I'll probably mow them in 2 evenings or so. I expect a total of approx. 100 hours a year...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I beg people with 5 acre yards to step into the zt, most are still tight and want to buy the mz. The ZT tranny and engine is rated for 1200 hours on paper, even your worse case scenario and at 800 hours you start fixing hydros and engine, that is still 8 to 12 years of use, and that is a heck of a deal for $3000. I just sold my g-pas zt 50" with 120 hours for nearly $4000... Nearly everything between $3000 and $4000 is beat up commercial mowers with 1000 hours, or homeowner grade with ezt non serviceable trannys.

6. Popeye77

Popeye77 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Looks like a better deal to me than those listed. IMHO

7. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would you beg people to buy the ZT when the CZT would be the better choice?

8. tdvries1

tdvries1 LawnSite Member

sometimes people have a budget and they try to get the best fit.....

Thanks to all of you for your thoughts and comments. I'd love to buy they 7K$+ mower and I know you'll get value for money, but I'd better be realistic.

Based on the comments I think the ZT with the 180 hours for 3K$ or less (still have some negotiation space) is probably the best deal I can get for the job.

Forgot to mention that it probably is for the next 4 years, so with the 180 hours on the clock, 4 years of 100 hours to go, I should be fine....

Still the questions remains; anything particular I need to look at when buying the used TZ? Anybody aware of particular week spots I need to focus on? Thanks in advance for your advice!

9. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

On trades, I always check for things that I would have to fix to make perfect for sale. I check bearings (you can hear or feel them starting to go out), pulleys, belts (they are expensive), blades (another $50), I check the air filter (you can tell if they took care of it, some have never even cleaned them).
    The CZT and up would be my perfect choice for most people, but i cant tell you how many come in looking for a $1000 to $2000 mower and have huge yards...
    You can get a new ZT 5000 27hp Briggs 50" for $4499, but then you have taxes too....

10. saw n mow

saw n mow LawnSite Senior Member

I hear ya. I went a little over my personal budget when I got my MZ, but I'm glad I did. There's a balance in there somewhere between your budget and your realistic and sensible need.

Kevin