1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Used Bobcat...opinions?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Entropy, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Entropy

Entropy LawnSite Member

Hi guys, here's the deal.

I'm a homeowner looking at a commerical walk-behind. I currently have a Simplicity riding mower (38") is about to kick the hard one, I've been looking at others as replacements. Until today, I've been looking at another rider, until my bro-in-law said I should just get a commercial deck (walk-behind) and be done with it. After some investigation, I found the $3K-$4K prices to be a bit much.

An hour later, he calls back, and tells me he called a commercial dealer for me and got hold of one of his old friends. Turns out his friend just took in a 2-3 year old Bobcat 48" commercial deck (belt-driven) with a 15 HP Kohler engine. Three-blade system. New, I understand this machine goes for about $3200-$3500. My price for this: $800. It was turned in with a damaged transmission spindle (if I recall correctly), and that will be fixed before purchase at no additional charge.

I don't really want another tractor, and as a homeowner, I don't really see the need to pay for a full-on commerical deck in the $3K range. But this price is a direct result of my bro-in-law's relationship with his buddy at the mower shop, and this sounds like a sweet deal. We're going to go look at it tomorrow, and barring any mechanical problems, I might pick it up.

Anyone have any experience with Bobcat? I know a lot of golf courses use them.

Any input would be WAY helpful. I'm a newbie to this stuff, and I have to decide quickly.

Thanks.

2. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I got a bobcat 36" and I love it. Buy it!

3. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

New Bob-Cat 48 is around $2500.

4. Entropy

Entropy LawnSite Member

How's the cut quality of the Bobcat 48"? What about the Kohler engine?

Does the Bobcat stripe fairly well?

5. Tony Harrell

Tony Harrell LawnSite Senior Member

The cut looks great, and everyone around here uses them. I don't own one YET. As far as engines, I met a guy yesterday that had a BC ztr and said it had 350 hrs and was on his 3rd Kohler. That sounds like **** to me. You probably need some advice from people who actually have them.

6. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i have an old, beat up 48"bobcat with a kawa engine. runs great, and the cut is excelent

7. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 36 bobcat with the kohler 14 and had a 48" with the same motor (sold it for a rider). That 48 would cut great and stripe great (especially with doubles). I wish I could have sold the 36 instead but needed it for gates.

Just for comparison sake : I sold my 48 with the 14 and many hours (?) for $1450 on ebay.....I was looking for $900 as a reserve but the bidding went up and up. At $800 I would take a good look because it sounds great.

jeffyr

8. Entropy

Entropy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, all. I'm picking up the mower this Friday.

BTW, it has notched blades on it; I don't know if they're Gators. Should I keep them or go to a high lift blade? The Gators on my old Simplicity cut like hell, but that could be from the insanely low blade speed.