1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Buyers Guide - WB Mowers

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Michael950, Jun 20, 2008.

1. Michael950

Michael950 LawnSite Member
    from C

What are some things to look for and to consider when buying a used walk behind mower?

I'm interested in purchasing a used mower, and since I will have to travel to purchase one having a local dealer/service shop give it a good look over is not an option.

What is the average life of a mower engine (in hours) before a rebuild is required?

What is the average life of a mower in general (measured in hours)?

Words of advice?

(If you need specifics, this is in regards to eXmark mowers and does not need to be limited to WB and can include ZTR)
  2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

1000-2000 hours, depending on the maintainence routines. Sometimes less if the user was really hard on the unit. At 2000 hours on any of these machines, the bodies of the units are typically played out, missing important safety features, or just plain broken.

Seriously, the operators are too concerned with using the units (that I've seen, anyways) to worry about fixing them.

You never know if you are getting a good deal if the guy does his own service, as he can say he did it properly, but you know how that goes. There's just no record of the work done.

If you can, find one that has documented maintainence work.

Usually, when these mowers are due for a rebuild, the engines have changed designs, or are no longer made. Just look at all the Kawasaki FB460V engines out there.
  3. freshprince94

freshprince94 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ditto. However, if a machine is homeowner used, it can last a lot longer than if it was used commercially.