Used chain saw to cut back grasses=$$

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by NelsonLandworks, Apr 11, 2005.

1. NelsonLandworks

NelsonLandworks LawnSite Member

Today we had a large spring cleanup to do. We quoted high to make it worth wild, and got the job. There about somewhere artound 20-30 tall grasses (about 12-15feet high)

I'm not sure what kind of grass though, they looked and felt like a mini bamboo (i know they weren't, but thats' the best way to describe them)

Anyways, We started at 8:30, and by noon we were already spreading mulch. We were able to go so quick because we used out MS170 Stihl chain saw.

It was our first time, and deffinetly won't be our last. We were picked up and driving out of the driveway at 3:30 after dumping all the clippings on site and spreading 12 yards of bark mulch with only two people.

If you haven't tried it yet, give it a shot!

Nelson Landworks
  2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

want to go even faster, try a set of gass hedge trimmers.
  3. NelsonLandworks

i'm not sure I know what you you have a link or a picture? thanks

Here's a picture when we were nearly finished, this is one of the 'smaller' beds as far as grasses go.

4. NelsonLandworks

oh never mind, I read that wrong and wasn't sure what you were talking about.

Thats funny because I was looking at them today and thought about how good it would have worked. Sorry about the confusion, & thanks for the idea-

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey Wes., Are you in Henniker, N.H.?????? That mulch job looks great
  6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

or a brush cutter
  7. jpp

jpp LawnSite Silver Member

From the picture it looks like ornamental (sp) grass. I use gas hedge trimmers on that stuff. Looks like the chain saw did a good job.
  8. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

yes it is an ornimental grass but there are alot of different ornimental grasses and also there are cool season grasses and warm season grasses and they are cut back at different times of the year.So it is good to ask or research what kind of grass your cutting before you do it.
  9. NelsonLandworks

Good point, although the customer said they cut down thier grasses every spring, and asked us to do the same.

NH Lawn Boy-yes I am in Henniker. Matter of fact, that job I did was in Concord. Where about are you located in NH?
  10. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey yea Im up here in northfield. Do you get alot of work in concord?