1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Deere 717A

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by realtree27, Mar 15, 2006.

1. realtree27

realtree27 LawnSite Member
    from harrah

I found a john deere 2005 717A model. 48 inch 19 hp It has 31 hours and still has 2 years left on the warranty. IT cost $5500, is this a good deal?
  2. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

Last time I checked they were selling for 6100.00 in my area brand new from the dealer. I would pay the extra 600.00 for peace of mind, unless you know the previous owner very well
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's a tad high. Also make sure on 2 years left on the warranty because unless it is still considered "new" and at a dealer the original warranty is only 2 years when brand new.
  4. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

just remeber those hour gauges dont mean anything, they can easy be replaced with a new one
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yup... and I haven't seen a mower warranty statement yet that was 'TRANSFERABLE'. Generally they are only valid to the ORIGINAL owner. So unless it is a demo or something that has never been registered in the system as sold... warranty my butt... yet you see that in ads, ect all the time...
  6. padrefargo

padrefargo LawnSite Member

... for the fact that the 2006 will have the 7-Iron II deck, which adds 2,000 fpm (or whatever that is) to the blade-tip speed. Also, I notice some nice build features on my 2006 that might not be on the 2005. Those include the ROP, seat belt, and the front wheel casters are solid forged metal instead of two pieces of bent and welded cut metal.

In short, I think the additions to the 2006 alone make it worth the extra money. The fact that you are getting a brand new warrantied machine should be the no-brainer deciding factor for you.

Good luck, and enjoy that 717, I know I am enjoying mine!
  7. mphillips4739

mphillips4739 LawnSite Member

I agree with the others here, that it may be a tad high, but not too bad. Remember that even if a new one sells for 6100 (I paid about 6500 for mine last year) that you have to pay sales tax at the dealer and if this is an individual, there is no sales tax:cool2: There are some changes that make the new one attractive though like the increased blade tip speed.