Used Diesel, Things To Look Out For

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by GravelyGuy, Aug 14, 2007.

1. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I am shopping for a new truck right now. I don't want to get anything older than a 2004. The newer the better. I am looking to spend around $25,000.

I really want to get a diesel, but all I have ever had was gas, so I don't know what to watch out for when buying a used one. Any tips, or things I should listen for, whatever would be appreciated.

I am leaning towards Ford right now because I really like the looks of them, but I am not opposed to Chevy or GMC. No Dodge for me.

Also, I have found that with all of the rebates etc. right now that I could get a brand new 3/4 tone 2007 gas truck for the same price as a used diesel with 40-60,000 miles on it.

Thanks for the help.

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

How much driving do you do and what are you doing with the truck. People buy diesel trucks because they want a diesel truck. Buying a diesel truck for mileage really doesn't apply anymore the fuel mileage isn't that great.

3. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

When you ask how much driving I do, this will be my daily driver for personal and business so it will see quite a few miles. As far as work, this truck will be used to haul around my 7'x16' tandem every day. Along with my mowing setup, I need something that can handle skids etc. with no problem, but this will not be on a daily basis though. yet...

4. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

if a powerstroke, get an oasis report. start it and see how it feels, if its ruff idling, dont buy it. if its smooth chances are its good. but that oasis report will tell you all you need to know. if its had lots done to it, its a crap one. if its only had minor stuff then its good. and if its got gauges and stuff, prob not one to go for. and buy it off a ford lot. not a dodge or gm lot.

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Stupid question texanlawnandlandscape but why buy it from ford lot and not dodge or gm lot?

6. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

Well i say that because generaly if they traded it at a gm or dodge lot, they had problems, and didnt want to deal with it anymore. i bought my 6.0 powerstroke from a dodge lot and it was in the shop every week. they traded it cuz it was problematic. obviously thats not going to be every truck, but thats a big reason people trade for another brand.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

What is an Oasis report? Should any dealer be able to provide one of these?

The bad thing about buying used is I will probably end up having to drive to another state to pick the truck up. This makes test drives difficult.

Thanks...

8. DieselOnly

DieselOnly LawnSite Member

Go for the Duramax, it won't do you wrong, pricey, but good. I myself, perfer the GM 6.5 and 12 valve Cummins.

9. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

yes, any dealer can get that. if they say they cant their lyin. why out of state?

10. TXNSLighting

from DFW, TX

i cant believe anyone likes the 6.5...