Used Dixie..Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TLC7, Sep 13, 2000.

1. TLC7

TLC7 LawnSite Member

I found a used Dixie Chopper in my area with 600 hours. The condition of the mower is very good (clean and not beat to death!!). It is an XW2200 with a 60" deck. It has a Kohler 22 HP engine. Is this enough power for a 60" deck? We don't have tall enough grass around here to see what it takes to bog it down (too dry). Also I know the flatlanders can do 13 mph compared to 10 mph for the other Dixies. What is different about the drive system that allows the extra speed? Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated!

Greg

2. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

How much?

3. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

The flatlander uses a smaller displacement wheel motor which allows the faster top speed. Yes, I think the 22 hp kohler will do the job, and kohler hasn't had the trouble with the 22's that they've had with the 25. Good Luck, Lynn

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Greg, I have a 60" Dixie Chopper with a 22 HP Kohler on it with almost 3,100 hours on it. Tall thick grass will pull it down at high speeds, but it does a fine job if you just go about 6 MPH in the tall thick stuff. Normal cutting you can go wide open if the ground is smooth enough. What Lynn said about the wheel motors is correct. The regular wheel motors are better for hilly land and plenty fast enough. They also hold up good. I have put on 1900 on one DC, 2500 on another, 3100 on another and 200 on my new diesel and I've had no wheel motor or hydro pump problems with them. DC's are very durable machines. If you can get that for under $6500, I would think it would be a good deal. That model probably cost about $8500 or more new, depending on the dealer. 600 hours isn't very many, about 1 years worth. To find out what year it is, reverse the first 2 numbers in the serial number. For example if it is 8984593, that means it is a 98. A 1999 or 2000 you won't have to reverse. My two Choppers now start with 59 and the other is 10. :)

5. TLC7

TLC7 LawnSite Member

Sorry Guys!! The price for the Dixie was $5000 obo.
    Thanks

Greg

6. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I would try to grab that one, that is a good price. :)

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW I wish up here in Maine you could mow 8 to 12 mph no way hosay can you do that up here grass way toooooo thiiiiiick, I suppose you can if you like clumps!!! Guess its the down fall with living way up North.