Used doubles for first time.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Man 5, May 19, 2002.

1. Lawn Man 5

Lawn Man 5 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Tonight I used doubles for the first time. I used a high lift on the bottom and a gator on top and they seemed to work pretty well. I only mowed my own yard and it wasn't very long. Tomorrow I will get the full effect. I put them in the + pattern and just torqued them down. (No bracket). If there not exactly in the + pattern will that hurt anything? And does it matter what blade goes on top, the gator, or the high lift. I’m using a 48in husqvarna with a 15hp kohler.

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

It will not matter if they are not exactly at 90 degrees. Just be sure your blades are all balanced. I use the Gators on top and the high-lifts on the bottom. That seems to be the way everyone recommends. I assume the ides is that the high-lifts will pull the grass up for a good cut and help throw it up to the Gators which will do the extra chopping.:)

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

its my opinion that u have them set up right. if they slip a little it wont matter that much and they sometimes will.
    if u hit something u may have a little trouble getting the bld bolt loose.
    thats happened to me several times in the last yr. no biggee tho.
    your choice of blade set up is a good place to start . u will find that different combinations of blds will work better for
    various types of mowing conditions. good luck.

4. Lawn Man 5

Lawn Man 5 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

My other question is it still alright to bag with Doubles? I have a few customers that just half to have their lawn baged. I don't know why.

5. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

It bags better with double blades due to the more compaction of grass in the bagger.

6. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

bagging works so much better with doubles, period.