Used Equip.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gllc, Feb 14, 2000.

1. gllc

gllc LawnSite Member

I'm considering buying a used walker mower does anyone have any sugestions? Problems that are not normal, or things Ishould watch for so as not to throw away excess money. Thanks in advance.

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I own a 1998 Walker GHS 25hp and I really like it for certain situations. It is a great moneymaker but I have had a few problems. The major problems came from the Kohler 25hp which has some inherent problems with head gaskets. First rebuild was at 120hrs second was at 400 hrs both under warranty which you wouldn't have.<br>Walker is a great company and I will buy another machine from them. Minor problems were with the ignition switch and the safety switch for the pto. Minor cost items. I have about 450 hrs on mine now. I have heard that Walkers hold value pretty well but if the engine is getting near 1500hrs I would try something else. I hope my opinion and experience helps. Good luck. ed

3. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

gllc<p>I should be able to help you out here.I have owned 3 walkers in five years and two where bought used.Please tell me the hours on it and the model.If you would get back to me on that I would be happy to help!<p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

4. gllc

gllc LawnSite Member

AB<p>The ad I responded to went somethig like this: 1995 Walker 20hp. 800 hours on short block, 48&quot; GHS deck and 62&quot; side discharge deck. $4750.00 (US. Physically the machine looks to be in good condition. All mechanicals seem to be fairly new except the hydro unit. Thanks for your insight.<p>gllc

5. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

I have found an article that deals with buying used walkers.I have a couple of questions to ask before I tell you what I think.1. is it being sold by a dealer or privately 2.What are the total hours(both on short block and pre-short block hours)3.Have the hydro's been replaced before. 4.Could you afford to buy new

6. gllc

gllc LawnSite Member

Total hours 2800, after short block 800 hours. I can not afford new (I wish I could). Thanks again AB for all your help.<br>

7. gllc

gllc LawnSite Member

total hours 2800, post short block 800 hours. Offered by a private landscape company. I don't think the hydros have been replaced (which scares me). I wish I could Afford to buy new. Tanks For all your help AB.

8. AB Lawn Care

from Ontario

gllc<p>1.Here is the article dealing with buying a used walker.Go to:www.ibsc.com/lpu/w-talk.htm<br>this will answer alot of your questions.<p>2.I am going to give you my own experience with buying old Walkers.Sevral years ago I bought a 16.5 hp diesel Walker.It worked great in the summer,it just hummed like a kitten and had alot of power.We use our Walkers for snow removal and that is when we started to have problems.It started to put out alot of smoke,and when you are that close to the exhaust that is not good.We started geting headaches and feeling sick.So we took it to the kabota dealer in town in they replaced the ingectors glow plugs and so on we also had a hard time staring it even in our heated garage so we had to replace the starter.So before we knew it we had spent $1000.00 on repairs and it was still smoking.Some reading this might think the dealer did not know what they are doing but trust me they are great and work on diesel engines of this type all day.Well when we got the bill we soon realized we were spending more on that machine than it would cost to own a new one!We right away traded it on a new 20hp.Walkers are very reliable but like all mowers at a certian # of hours it is going to start to need parts replaced.In our area walkers are usually traded in at about 900-1500hrs.So if that walker is at a total of 3600 hours than I would be careful.Plus that short block may in the near future need an other re-build.You where scared that the hydorstats will need replaced soon,and that may be the case.I think that the life expectancy on the hydro's is 1500hrs.I think the case with that machine may be that the company knows it would be cheaper to be running a new walker.They are selling it privately which may mean that the dealer will not give him much for it so he is trying to sell it himself.In any case be careful!Look at the web site I gave you and decide for yourself.Or even email or call the Walker.co and ask what they think.In any case do some research. <p>I hope this will help! <p>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care