Used equipment prices? lil help please.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bamaone, Feb 20, 2007.

1. bamaone

bamaone LawnSite Member

Friend from church has as '03 Exmark 36" (good condition) 13 H.P. Kaw.
    Husqvarna Trimmer 323L and Husqvarna blower 145 (both in good condition). Any idea on prices.
    I think $100-150/each for the trimmer/blower
    Maybe $1500 for the Exmark.

Thanks in advance

2. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

Pay half of what ever it sold new for....

3. lawnpro724

lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member

Not sure whether the blower is handheld or backpack but you can buy a new handheld for about $150 and a decent trimmer for $225 depending on hours I would give more than a $1000 if that for an 03 36" just to old.

4. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a 03 36 inch walkbehind that still has the orginal blades on it, they have never been removed for sharpening and are still sharp..... If someone told me it was too old, or only worth a few hundred bucks, they would need a good slap across the face to bring them back to earth and reality.

A new 36 inch walkbehind mower is going to run from 2 to 3 thousand depending on brand. Add another grand or so if you go to hydro drive. The prices on these have not changed much in the last 10 years, so chances are the guy paid almost the same in 2003 for it new as you would today for a new one. If it is in good shape and looks and runs and cuts well, then offering half of what it costs new is more than fair to both parties.

If you can get it for 500$ then great, especially if it is well worn..... But if it is in good condition it really is worth more.

This site is full of cheapskates that abuse their own stuff so hard that they think everyone else must do the same.... and they think all the used stuff on here should be practically given away, or bought for pennies on the dollar. The real world is if you take care of your stuff it will hold value, and it worth much more than alot of these guys think it is.

5. sensor419

sensor419 LawnSite Member

To share my experience, I gave $1500 for a 2005 36" belt drive Toro Proline with 13hp KAI Kawi and pistol grips. It had been used for 3 months and had the typical scratches on the trim side of the deck & caster yokes. I cleaned it up and painted where needed and now it looks and runs great. A local dealer said the "blue book" was $1650-1800 so I think I did OK.

6. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

just for reference.. my 2001 36" metro, 15 kohler was $1999 new in the spring of '02. it was one of the last for $1999, then they made the 32" the $1999 mower.

if it's in really good shape (no rust, re-welds, trans stays in gear) i'd say $1200 max.. also ecs was the standard by then i think, so if it's pistol grips, i'd say $1000 or so.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

First I have a question concerning blue book...

I'm not disagreeing that this exists (or should exist), but where do you find that?
    I mean, for cars it's readily available, so it should be for mowers, too.
    And if it isn't available, I'd still like to know if this is an actual source certain dealers can use, or if it's just a word they like to throw around.
    Anyone know?

Now, on the '03...
    If that mower was only used at the church itself and was stored in a shed or garage, then it is well worth the 1.5k!
    More likely than not, this is to the church a write off and while they're not interested in losing money, profit is also not in the cards.
    They most likely just want to break even, in which case it is really hard to argue, especially if the machine's cost equals what the machine is worth.
    You have to figure, most 3-y.o. Wb's have been used commercially at the tune of 5-8 or more lawns / day, cutting anywhere from 400 - 700 or so yards / year (compare this to even a BIG 8 acre or so church lot that gets cut weekly for a whole season, it don't get but 80 -100 cuts total in 3 years, if you multiply (uhm8 x 4 = 32 vs. 1/4 acre lots all put together, at the most this machine has ran 1,000 hours max!). Most church lots range anywhere from 1-4 acres in size, we could safely assume this machine should have an average of around 500 hours on it, maybe less, and so long the looks confirm this.
    On top of that, a lot of Lco's (including myself) have their equipment sitting outside, even if tarped up, any machine that has been stored outside of the weather will be in noticeably better shape.
    If all of the above were true with the '03 exmark, I would just about break a finger as I turbo-boost my hand into my pocket reaching for cash money, that to me is a pretty fair deal.
    As for the 2-cyclers, I can't say much, other than I have a pet peeve of always buying handhelds new, but that's just me.

Even thou I HATE pistol grips, if I needed a mower, Oh hale yeah I'd buy that Exmark so fast (if it looks about the shape I think it's in).

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

Are you still not over that time noone wanted to buy that equipment you had for sale?
    Some people on this site think their crap is worth more than it is.
    Anything is only worth what someone is willing to pay. I can say my mower is worth $20,000. But if noone buys it, then apparently only I thought it was worth that much and averyone else that it was worth something lower. Whatever. Those handhelds you mentioned are residential I believe. You can get them at Lowes. They are good residentials, but.....The The trimmer is $200 new and the backpack blower is $300 (I think). So use them being residential as a bargaining chip if you can.

9. Mow"N"Bud

Mow"N"Bud LawnSite Member

If the equipment is in good shape it probably is worth the prices you quoted. I recently sold a 95 year model Snapper for $700.00 and feel I may have let it go too cheap. It was in great shape, and not a lot of hours for one that old, and it started 1st or 2nd pull every time. I also knew they buy probably wasn't going to pay any more for the unit. Basically something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Good Luck

10. sensor419

sensor419 LawnSite Member

I got the "blue book" price on my 36" Toro from a dealer who had the book.