Used Equipment Purchasing Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnpronewbie, Sep 1, 2006.

1. lawnpronewbie

lawnpronewbie LawnSite Member

I'm just starting out in the lawn care busniess in the Atlanta market. Any pointers on purchasing good quality used equipment (i.e. commercial grade walk behind 36" mower).

Thanks in Advance

2. lordmaximus240

lordmaximus240 LawnSite Member

you can buy new for the same money. I have beat this drum to death. Better Outdoor Products, Quick 36. You buy used you buy someone elses problem, you can get a NEW hydro for the price of used. IMO

3. lawnpronewbie

I apprecaite your input Lordmaximus240. Haven't bought anything yet but, fortunately, I have a few coins to toss into the pot and want to make the best purchasing decisions that I can. Any recommnendations on initial purchases? I have one partner and am looking to start part time through the rest of this season then add a few employees for next season. Any recommendations will be appreciated.

4. lordmaximus240

whatever you get get the best you can afford. Lots of people jump in and buy the cheapest mower they can. Not saying thats a bad thing, but what happens when you buy that 36" belt drive and next summer you get rolling and need a 48" hydro. If you need 2 mowers thats great but if you dont then you got capital tied up.
    I am not saying finance $10000 worth of equipment. I am saying buy for your goals. There is nothing worse than not having the right rig for the job.I started with a used 48" jd walkbehind that was 5 years old. I became a mower mechanic real quick. I spent as much time fixing as mowing. That lesson was learned fast.
    You can dream all you want but keep the credit card in the safe in your dreams. Dont buy loads of stuff assuming you will have the business to pay for it. Look at your situation only you know what you can handle to get it rolling be smart and you will be succesful.

5. lawnpronewbie

Good recommendations - Thanks and "Good Cutting"...smile

6. fulano

fulano LawnSite Senior Member

Becareful with the sellers description of the item. For example I just bought a 2001 exmark mower that the buyer claimed was a 2004. I just saw two other exmarks on ebay and the sellers claim they are much newer than they actually are.

7. lordmaximus240

thats what I get instantly when you say ebay, the hooks the crooks and the fees my oh my