1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Equipment question.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by adrianvbarrera, Mar 20, 2003.

1. adrianvbarrera

adrianvbarrera LawnSite Member

Does anyone recommend buying used equipment for a new guy.

Does anyone know where in the Dallas Texas area I can find someone that sells used equipment?

Any input would be appreciated.

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

Check the classifieds, also check with dealers, some people trade every year or two.

As far as whether it is a good idea or not, I think so.

You can save a ton of money and find some very servicable equipment.

Might not be as good an idea if you don't have any mechanical aptitiude.

If you start with used equipment you could move it to a backup role if you purchase new equipment later on.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with buying used equipment. I've never purchased a new pickup truck...too damn expensive.

As for mowers, when we trade our WB's in to our dealer, they're gone in no time cause everyone knows how well we maintain and service them. Plus, we roll them over every 2 or 3 years so they don't have a gazillion hours on them.

Right now is a good time to shop for used equipment. I've seen a lot of commercial equipment for sale in our local weekly newspaper. Good Luck.
  4. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, buy used equipment, just make sure its good. Lance here on Lawnsite lives in the Dallas area, he might be able to cut you a deal.

5. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with buying used at all. Check your local Pawn shops. Always can find hand held stuff there that some unlucky LCO had taken off his trailer. Also surf Ebay for hand helds. You can surely save yourself allot of money at start up. if you can not afford new.

just make sure your buying quality stuff like, sthil, echo, redmax, shindaiwa.

I just bought a stick edger off Ebay waiting for it to arrive from UPS
  6. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

there is nothing wrong with buying used equipment. just be careful. if at all possible take it( before you buy it) and demo it. maybe even take it to a mechanic and have them give it a once over. it will however be hard to tell if there is something wrong internally( engine) but still a good idea
  7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

What the others said. I bought a 52" hydro Scag walk behind with a Kawasaki engine on it for $800, it is about 10 years old but in great shape and looks like it was not used hard and alot. For $800 you could also buy a new Toro or Honda 21" but why spend that much money on a 21" when the 52 will make you 2.5x as productive without a sulky (it's productivity can about double with a sulky). I have bought several used 2 cycles but I would recommend the trimmer and blower be new if possible since they are your front line items that you have to have. You could look on Ebay for items in your area and just go check them out before you bid or pay for it. Some good deals on there...check out the buyers' reviews though.
    Good luck!
  8. adrianvbarrera

adrianvbarrera LawnSite Member

Thanks for the input guys.

I emailed Lance but no response..

Thanks Guys