1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Equipment: To buy or Not to buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by The Greenskeep, Apr 27, 2004.

1. The Greenskeep

The Greenskeep LawnSite Member

I would like to get your opinion(s) on buying used or even demo equipment. This piece in particular, that I am looking at is an, 2000 Exmark Lazer HP 52" W/ Vac; 100 hrs. on newer engine
    ( Kohler 23hp), 6600 hrs. on machine, asking $5,000. Any input on this particular ztr or the topic of buying used or demo equipment would be appreciated.

The Greenskeep
  2. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

You sure it's 6600 hours???? Used equipment can be a great find or a real time killer. How handy are you?? What condition is the mower in?
  3. Del9175

Del9175 LawnSite Senior Member

I buy used equipment, but it is strictly on a case by case basis. If the price is right and the equipment seems to be in good shape I'll buy. However, I don't think I would spend 5 grand on a machine that has 6600 hours. I don't care how new the engine is.
  4. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

6600 hrs or 660 hrs? If it has 6600 hours dont buy it, but if it has 660 hours on it maybe. I am looking to get around the same for my toro zmaster 52' w/23 hp kawi and a vacum system, mine only has 550 hrs on it though.