Used Equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EcoSystems, Feb 17, 2003.

1. EcoSystems

EcoSystems LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

How would I determine what a fair price would be on used equipment?. Does anyone have any systems or formulas to determine used prices. Example a new 21 inch mower, honda eng. used 1.5 seasons costs new $499.00 plus tax. How would a used price be determined?
    Thanks

2. Do a searce on eBay for your item. Then look under "Completed Items." That's a good place to start.

3. JCLandWerks

JCLandWerks LawnSite Member

When you figure a used price try to get 2/3 the new price. You most likely will never get above that on smaller items. But on some mowers you might. Just a thought for you.

4. EcoSystems

EcoSystems LawnSite Member
    from Memphis

Thanks for tips.

5. mowngrow

mowngrow LawnSite Senior Member

i paid 250.00 for a honda 21" mower last season. it was only used for three hours. the guy paid 500.00 for it. so it is hard to say. good for me, bad for him. the mower was worth more than that.

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would strongly suggest that you use Ebay to find the "going" rate or items. 20/20 did a report on that is what pawn shops use to know the value of items.

Gravely_Man

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

so thats why these pawn shops ask crazy prices for their equipment.i dont even check to see what they got anymore.

8. Finertouch

Finertouch LawnSite Member

Mow-n-grow, I have a mowing business for sale in south AR. What would be a good why to advertise

9. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

A used deal is a funny thing. Monday I was going to stop by Lowes and pick up some cable ties and then go to the dealer and buy a Stihl blower. But while at lowes I noticed a Husky 145 bp sitting on a cart with a service tag. Asked about it and if it was for sale, the manager goes checking and comes back and says $150 -so I bought it. The service tag was for a new cable - wasn't what I wanted but got a decent blower and still have $300 in my pocket.

10. OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn LawnSite Senior Member

Year #1: 20% off new price
    Year #2: 35% off new price
    Year #3: 50% off new price
    Year #4: 65% off new price
    Year #5: 80% off new price
    Year #6: very little value because it has been run in the ground as a used, commercial piece.

This is the table I use to buy / sell, assuming the equipment is usable.