1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Equipment

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by DIY Tim, Oct 24, 2004.

1. DIY Tim

DIY Tim LawnSite Member

I'm considering purchase of a used commercial ZTR (likely Exmark or Scag) for residential use cutting about 3.5 acres. Could you guys give me a rough idea of typical hours of use per year on these machines (Orange County, New York). What would be a reasonable life expectancy? Any thoughts on how much the value of these machines decline per year. In other words, how much should I expect to pay off original list price for a typically used, one year old machine (two years, three years)?

I'm also considering a new Exmark CT. However, I'm thinking I can get more mower for a lower cost if I go used. Any and all thoughts are appreciated.

2. rbeitz

rbeitz LawnSite Member

I went through this decision process a couple of months ago. I started looking at new ZTR's in the $6K range. I considered the Scag Cub 19/48 and the Exmark CT 19/48. In the end I bought a 2001 Scag Turf Tiger with 27 HP LC engine and 72" cut. It has 1700 hours on it but I paid 1/2 of what the cub or exmark would have cost and I got twice the machine. I fully expect the Liquid cooled engine to last 4000+ hours. Given that I'll only put on 50 hours a year at most, it should be the last mower I ever need to buy. If you can find one that has been well maintained, even with higher hours, it should serve you well for many years to come.
  3. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

My suggestion to you would be to educate yourself well on commercial mowers first...........
    Go to different manufacturers web sites and delve into the facts......
    Buying used equipment means being knowledgable about that equipment and what to look for. There is a good bit of used stuff to buy but the better quality usually gets good prices for obvious reasons.
    The average hours on a commercially used mower is between 300-500 hours per year with a typical life expectancy on the motor of about 2000 hours for an air cooled model. liquid cooled adds more hours to engine life but also adds to the cost.....