Used Exmark Lazer Z w/New Liquid Cooled Kaw: Good Buy?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by punk_rockin2001, Jul 16, 2006.

1. punk_rockin2001

punk_rockin2001 LawnSite Member

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 2000 or 2001 60" Lazer Z with a new 23hp liquid cooled kasasaki engine installed on it. The deck, spindles, frame, etc. all have 1800 hours on it. It has new belts and blades. It can be mine for around $3000. The price seems good, possibly under powered, but I can deal with it. My question is, how long should I expect the body to keep going? Its been extremely well maintained, from the look of it I would guess it to be only a year or two old, but I know its about 5 years old. I was also wondering why an engine that is supposed to last longer because it is liquid cooled had to be replaced after 1800 hours. If anyone has any experience with this mower and/or engine let me know what you think.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

It's a lot of hours you can expect break downs the moters might seem fine the pumps have wear to me it's a lot of cash for a old unit.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Pumps alone I bet are probably a grand a piece without labor involved to replace.
  4. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

You need more HP for a 60" deck, that's probably why the engine was replaced......too much strain on it. The pumps and wheel motors are on borrowed time, so expect them to go the moment you back it off the trailer.
    I'd offer no more than $1500 - $1800 otherwise walk away.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Have you looked at the Lazer AS. Great entry level Exmark with the Ultra Cut deck. I ran a 23 hp 60" for several years and it mowed exellent on one week accounts. They have upgraded the engine to 25 hp on the 60" deck which was the standard for years before the hp wars. If money is a major concern the Huslter is cheaper. With todays financing incentives I just don't buy used. Most major mower manufacturers offer 6-12 months same as cash then you can refinance before the interest is due. Or they have low financing rates and even offer to let you skip months every now and then on payments. This would be helpful if you are just starting out and there is not alot of money coming in in the winter. The guys that posted above have over 10,000 post between them. They ought to know what they are talking about when they say stay away. Just my opinion.
  6. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Way underpower, way overpriced and too many hours.
  7. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Mowerman90, Nice web site, good looking equipment, looks like you have an aluminum trailer. What size is it and how do you like it?
  8. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

It would be a good backup. I think the pumps still have at least 500hrs left on them. 3000 is cheap for a 23/60 that works and a new motor.
  9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm...I don't know..

I just sold my '01 27hp LC Lazer for $ had 1800hrs on it....original engine.

With the 23hp engine, it should be a 2000 M/Y
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

you were fortunate, extremely fortunate...did I say fortunate?