used exmark

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Big Lew, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

Hi Everyone!
    Today I was kicking tires at John Deere and Exmark...really looking to start my business with a W/B. As I was getting prices
    from the exmark dealer he says that he just took in a 36" Metro
    and wanted to know if I was interested....of course I said yes and the story goes like this....it was sold to the first owner who had it for a very short time and second owner ended up with carple tunnel (pistol grips)...it's not a hydro or anything special but it is in really 'like new' condition and has the bagger and mulching kit. The bag looks as though it is brand new and the deck, belts etc look new also....keep in mind this is one of the best dealers in our area...great service etc....but ...it comes without any warranty what so ever....when demo'ing..it started with the first pull....has a 13 hp kaw motor I think, (I forgot what size he said::eek: )
    anyway, it would be my first purchase...The price is 1500....I asked if he would consider 1250.....he said he could never accept that but...was willing to come down a little bit more......is this a fair price for a nice used W/B????????I guess the bag would come in handy for leaf collection this fall.....how does this mower cut and mulch with the mulching blades?....if 1500 is not a fair price ...what would be?......and last question:D
    I can buy a 48 in W/B from John Deere for 2895 (GS 30)....
    what would you guys do? PS...Thank God for this site!

2. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

Big Lew I dont know how much you can afford for one, but if I where you and could afford more I would buy a hydro with the ecs controls. I have been using a toro belt drive with t bar controls, and a fixed deck now for 5 years. Its a good mower, but I always regretted not going with a hydro floating deck. I got my new exmark this year and found out what I was really missing. I know its a lot more than the other one, but I dont think if you can afford the extra you will regret it in the long run, especially when you get a lot of work and having that extra tuff makes it easier on you. Just my 2cents, as for the price of the other one I cant answer that. But on a new one you can finance it.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I got started with that 36" 12.5 kawi pistol Metro like 2 seasons ago, well it cut great very neat but it has its limit even with sulky on it. The major drawback of the belt WB is fatigue, I have been doing like 8 lawns a day 5 -6 days a week with that Metro and it really wore me down to the point that this summer I could not handle additional accounts I was picking up.
    I now run a 52" TTHP 17 V twin with ECS and jungle wheels, I don't feel fatigued at all compared to Metro besides that 52" deck is so helpful in cutting down mowing time, and of course the cut of TTHP blew me away! The Metro is now only used for my own weekend yard cutting and occasional steep hill to cut, and as a solid backup.
    So if you can find a good used 52" Hydro, go for it, it will help you get started better off than when I was. ( take nothing less than a 52" you won't regret)
    As for price, any dollar for eXmark is worht it.

4. barringtonbrothers

barringtonbrothers LawnSite Senior Member

The problem with a 52 is if you run in to any small fences with big yards you have three options - turn it down, cut it all with a 21inch, or ask them if you can enlarge the gate. I dont know about you but I dont want to have to 21inch half a acre do you? I think if you are running only one walk behind the ideal size is 36. I have run in to few fences a 36 cant go thru, but many any thing bigger will not go thru.

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

where in FLorida are you? I ask because of your choice of the 52 incher, which I like !

6. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

You would be out of your mind not to purchase the exmark if after to test it it works great and in good condition. I got a turf tracer hp 36" and I love it but for that price, I would not give it another thought.

Just my opinion

7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Tider6972, I am in Central Florida around Orlando area. Yeah, down here a combo of 52" & 36" is the perfect set to handle all the landscaping chore. I have almost every hill on every account which make me opt for WB, and the 36" is the best to do steep slope without scalping or leaving line on turf, but it has its limit, the 52" is a true "life Saver" as most of white fence with gate around here have a 5 -feet entrance in addition to a smaller one, especially in a higher end commuinity like 3-500 k and upper estate properties, and you look good on that TTHP eXmark...:))

8. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

Thanks to all that have replied so far.....
    I have already ordered a Honda Hydro 21" from a good friend. He has yet to find one at another dealer....so I'm thinking this 36" Metro would be even better than the 21" Honda.....down the road (next year) I would buy a 52" ZTR...but for now...I'm just not sure what way to go.....
    The problem with going with a 52" Hydro is the point in keeping my overhead down on startup.....I can afford anything my wife says I can :eek: ....
    She is really behind me.....I just don't want to buy the wrong piece of equipment .....I also don't want to put the sales guy through a bunch of crap....I guess you all understand....
    Thanks everyone!

9. venecular

venecular LawnSite Member
    from Atlanta

I went through the same exact thing beginning of this year...

If I had found a metro 36" for that price, I would not have spent 4k on a 36" hydro. Yes, hydro is better for the obviously reasons, but you will be ahead of the game come next year when it comes to profit vs. expenses. The first year is the hardest getting started and learning but you are doing the right thing.

10. Big Lew

Big Lew LawnSite Member
    from pa

IF one more person tells me I'm crazy for not buying it....I'm buying it!