Used Gravely Pro 50 worth it?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blue_steel2, Jul 24, 2003.

1. blue_steel2

blue_steel2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a chance at a Gravely Pro 50 WB, 16 HP Briggs with 170 hours on it, 50" cut, belt drive. Price = $1300. The owner believes it is 5 years old and looks to be in great shape.
    I want to use it for my residence to cut approx. 2/3rds acre fast. I noticed on the forum, people seem to either love or hate Gravely. What do you experts think? What problems should I look for or anticipate?
  2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Have you operated this machine yet? The price sounds ok, but I have found Gravleys to be hard on the hands & wrist. Also is there a dealer in your area for parts?
  3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Demoing the unit and dealer support are huge items to consider. The price is reasonable but make sure to check the unit over thoroughly.

4. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

That unit cost well under three grand new, so I'm thinking the price is high for a 5 year old machine. A new Gravely can indeed be rough on the hands and wrists, but on a unit that old the springs should be broken in and not quite so tight. Make sure the spindles are tight with little or no movement. Mone burned out a spindle in the first 18 months but has been problem free since then.