Used Gravely Pro 50 worth it?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by blue_steel2, Jul 24, 2003.

1. blue_steel2

blue_steel2 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I have a chance at a Gravely Pro 50 WB, 16 HP Briggs with 170 hours on it, 50" cut, belt drive. Price = $1300. The owner believes it is 5 years old and looks to be in great shape.
    I want to use it for my residence to cut approx. 2/3rds acre fast. I noticed on the forum, people seem to either love or hate Gravely. What do you experts think? What problems should I look for or anticipate?
    Thanks

2. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Have you operated this machine yet? The price sounds ok, but I have found Gravleys to be hard on the hands & wrist. Also is there a dealer in your area for parts?

3. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Demoing the unit and dealer support are huge items to consider. The price is reasonable but make sure to check the unit over thoroughly.

Gravely_Man

4. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

That unit cost well under three grand new, so I'm thinking the price is high for a 5 year old machine. A new Gravely can indeed be rough on the hands and wrists, but on a unit that old the springs should be broken in and not quite so tight. Make sure the spindles are tight with little or no movement. Mone burned out a spindle in the first 18 months but has been problem free since then.