1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Gravely tractor, Troy-Bilt rototiller...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, Oct 14, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey guys,

I have a friend who's Mom is looking to get rid of some of her Husbands (passed away) lawn equipment. Anyway, here's the list: 1960's or '70's Gravely tractor (4 wheel, not 2 wheel tractor) with 17HP (Onan engine) mounted in rear, front live PTO, not currently running, but ran well last time it was used (15 years ago). The attatchments include: 48" (I think) cut SD deck (off front PTO), 30" snowblower attatchemnt (off front PTO), small 48" rear rake (like a york rake), and a small utility cart. Here's what the tractor needs (what I think it needs to run): carb rebuild, new starter, new battery, and possibly some re-wiring, and new tires, along with a few other small things. The Troy Bilt rototiller 1960's or '70's has a 4HP Tecumseh engine, needs a carb rebuild, and new tires. She's willing to give hese to me free of monetary charge, but I will have to do some "fixing up" and shrub trimming around her pool, and do some plantings (like hostas etc) in return-like 5Hrs labor tops plus $250/materials. Does this sound like a good deal to you guys? I'm going to have to spend some $$$$ to get these peices of equipment up and running, but they look like solid workhorses. So, what do you think...good deal or bad deal? Anyone ever have a tractor or rototiller like this before?....good, bad etc???

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

do a search on ebay for those items. you could ask her to pay for the plantings and you'll supply the labor because the equipment needs so much work. then that would seem to be a good deal.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That Gravely tractor is one hell of a work horse once running again, I have seen just the tractor with deck in the same basic shape go for 8 to 1000 bux.
    Boss Got $350 for a used front PTO set-up on Ebay a while back. Just the snow blower if in working order could be worth 5 to $700 by it's self.
  4. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks guys!

Rob- how much would you charge for the work on the tractor? Including changing all oil and filters, replacing fuel lines, and re-building the carb?
    Are Onan engines fairly easy to get parts for/good engines?
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, We get $50 a hour. That would be probably 1 1/2 hrs. on the carb. and fuel lines and a flat rate $49.95 for the tune and service plus parts.

Onan Engines are full fledged industrial engines and hold up very well. They have been building engines for over 50 yrs., As for parts I'm sure you will have no problem;