Used Hustler Super Z Questions

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToughAsStihl, Jul 25, 2006.

1. ToughAsStihl

ToughAsStihl LawnSite Member
    from Vermont

I tried to post this in the Hustler forum so don't tell me to because I already tried.

Hi I was looking today at a Hustler Super Z 60in. I am not sure the year but it is pre XR7 deck so I am thinking 2003 or 2004. The paint is pretty faded and chipped especially on the trimming side of the deck, on the forks, front part of the frame and foot rest area. I am unsure of the hours (total stupidity for not looking):hammerhead: It is at a local John Deere dealer and is on consignment from a landscaper that did a lot of business with that dealer (They are also a landscape supply store). The price is $4500 and the dealer said it was probably negotiable.

I don't know whether this helps but the rear plate to guard the engine only says Hustler and it says Super Z on the gas tanks. I wasn't sure if that helps define the year.

So what I want to know. Is this a good deal? Is there anything in particular to look out for?

I will try to get pictures and the hours tomorrow.:)

2. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

3. martinslandscaping

martinslandscaping LawnSite Member

I bought a 72 inche early spring with less than 200 hours for $7,2000.00 I saw a 72 tero this past week with 300 hours for $5,500.00 so they may be a bit high

4. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

It all depends on motor size and the type of accounts you mow.

5. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I'm going to guess it's a 23 or 25hp Kawi.

Under 1K hrs and thats a decent price. Just look it over real good, drive it, mow with it, etc. They're built stronger than most ZTR's, so if the engine is shot, $1500 buys a new one. Those hydro's are pretty bullet proof.

6. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

So can you guys tell me for the average use from a pro landscaper what hours of use vs. price is?

Would it be a good idea to bring it to the local Hustler dealer to have them look it over. I just don't have a big enough trailer as of now but I could rent one if need be.

I would consider myself a rookie on these mowers so what should I specifically look for when I do a check over of it. Pictures will help also.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

PJ over on the Hustler Forum could help you identify the year.

If you posted on that forum, there is a waiting period until it is visible to others. It has to be approved by PJ.

8. CottonPatch

CottonPatch LawnSite Member

When reading the serial number look at the first four digits. The first two tell you the year and the second two tell you the month manufactured. You will need to get a model number off it also to correctly identify the machine. I have seen some Hustler Z's have super Z on the tank.

9. ToughAsStihl

from Vermont

Is that it? I will have pictures by later today but people can still answer my questions. :waving: :sleeping:

10. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

Buy new or like new. Hustlers are in demand so you will have to pay more for one. I would much rather have a Tank with 200 hours on it than a Super with 2000.