1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Used Hustler Z 52" with a blown engine..is it worth $1600???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Oct 27, 2006.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I talked to a guy who wants to sell his 52" Hustler Z. He told me...he left the oil cap off...burned the oil up...threw a rod I guess. So...he has a busted 23hp Kawasaki. The unit has 1200 hours on it....and he wants $1600? Now...I could be way off here....but I had a car a long time ago...that threw a rod... and at the time the bluebook was 3K on it....but no one would pay over 500 for it...with a blown engine. The engine could be replaced for a grand.
    You guys think that Hustler with a blown engine is worth 1600?? I havent looked but I think a new 23hp Kawasaki would run about a grand. Just curious on your thoughts??

2. WJW Lawn

Basically he wants me to make an offer. What would you guys offer? Or would ya even touch it??

3. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

depending on the year i might give 1000 but not 1600.

4. surgeon83

surgeon83 LawnSite Member

Well I figure that the cost of a new 23hp kawasaki plus labor would be roughly $1500 (some extra for hassle), so would you be willing to spend $3100 on a mower with 1200 hours but a bran new engine? Its also hard to tell what else might be wrong, since you can't really test drive it. I think there is one just like that on ebay for $2800- with a blown engine! That one seems high for sure.

5. WJW Lawn

Honestly...I dont think Id give him more than 500 for it...lol Maybe that's offensive...but lets face it...who knows about this thing.

6. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

He has it on craigslist. Whew, she looks like she's been rode pretty hard but they are tough machines.

7. WJW Lawn

Yep...thats the one. I was thinkin the same thing!

8. WJW Lawn

Here it is....maybe 300? lol

hustz.jpg

9. huh

huh LawnSite Senior Member
    from Lubbock

take it from someone that is hard on equipment

that thing is beat to hell.....how do you get mud all the way up on the rims....i will tell you....mud bogging

and the mud CAKED on the deck.....from pushing the damn thing in the MUD then getting on it with muddy boots and not even caring....possibly even scraping your boots off on it

gas tank all spilled on.....from not caring...EVERY DAY that you just wasted gas all over your mower

grease all over the thing.....probably from not greasing it for a year then thinking "i will just put 2X as much to make up for it....and it will not need it again forever!"

the only part in decent shape is where the lazy ass goes

that thing looks to me like it burned up trying to drive the hell out of it to get it unstuck.....who knows what else is burned up

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

After seeing that pic, I wouldn't give it a second chance...I'd walk unless it was free.