1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Used JD F725

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by hansenke, Jun 4, 2001.

1. hansenke

hansenke LawnSite Member
    from NE PA

I'm not a commercial landscaper, just a home owner with a lot (4.5 acres) of property to mow. I currently have a Cub Cadet 2185 that is ok but it seems like it isn't made for the hours I put on it. Other than mowing, I use it for pulling the yard cart around.

Since it take 4+ hours to cut my lawn and the terrain is somewhat rough and hilly in spots, I'm thinking of getting a used commercial grade mower. A local JD dealership has a F725 with 54" deck and 1600 hours on it asking $3200. It this a lot of hours? How about the price? It started fine and ran smoothly, so it seemed to be in decent condition. The deck looked a little banged up, with some repair welds visible but I didn't test it.

I don't have a lot of trees, so I don't think that I need a ZTR. The front mount mowers seem like they would be maneuverable enough and I would be able to still use the yard cart. Should I be considering any other brands?

Your thoughts and experience are appreciated.

Thanks,

2. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

Hey hansenke
    I am a small lawn mowing company and from what u have said, 1600 hours seems somewhat high, but if u just use the F725 like once a week im sure that shouldn't be a problem. Though u might have to watch out for any clutches going out, or bad belts, but thats common with that many hours on it.
    If u wanted to get a productive mower id say go with a ZTR. U said that u dont have many trees to go around, your F725 is great at going around trees and getting underneith things but u mostly have wide open areas. ZTR's are very quick in wide open areas, faster than the 725, i have a Scag Turf Tiger 52inch cut, it is very fast 10mph in the wide open areas with a great cut, but takes some time going around trees with it. So if i were u, id maybe look around a bit before settling on that JD. U would be surprised at how cheap some mowers are with less hours on or even a brand new one. But i would stick with commercial mowers for that big of a yard. Or maybe a used JD 425 or 445 with a 60inch deck, u can mow and pull whatever.
    Just my thought
    (Lawnman)

3. SLC1

SLC1 Guest

The first commerical mower that we bought was a JD F725 and we ran it for more than eight years and loved it. That is not all that many hours and since you are using it for yourself I think that it has a lot of life left in it. Just My two cents

4. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

I have heard 2000 hours to be considered the average end of an engine. But like stated before - belts go, things start breaking. If you look around - deals pop up here and there. For instance - I bought a 61" Scag - hydro unit and sulky with a brand new engine for $1000. I even got an extra deck. It was a steal - but you have to look. I use www.equipmenttraderonline.com - That is where I find my deals. Remember dealers are getting their cut - so cut out the middle man.

5. Landry

Landry LawnSite Member

If you work on your own equipment, a tradition ZTR such as my SCAG turf tiger is much convenient to work on. Just look at the location of the pumps, motors etc of the JD725 next to a normal ZTR. The difference is enough to change your mind if other factors are close. After doing a little leg work trying to find a good used mower, I found most professional cutters traded-in the pure old front style (ie two JD 725's and a Ford )for mid mount ZTR's (in my area SCAGs and Exmarks are big). I finally gave up and bought new, but there are good used ones if you shop hard.

6. mowin'man

mowin'man LawnSite Member

JD 425, 445, or 455, check out all-wheel steering.
    That gives as tight a turn circle as a front mount and you get to
    pull your cart too.