Used John Deere 300

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by web man, Mar 4, 2002.

1. web man

web man LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a used John Deere 300 riding mower. It has a 16 HP Koehler engine. The guy I bought it from said it has alot of hours on it and it leaks oil. I started it and it seems to run fine. The mower itself seems to be in good shape. I paid $500.00 for it. Can anybody advise if this mower has a history for problems. I don't think John Deere makes this model anymore, How come? I will be using it for just my yard, approx 3/4 acre with some moderate slopes. In the future I might look for a snow blade for it. I will be taking it to a JD service store for them to go over it and tune it up. I would appreciate comments from people who know something about this model.

2. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

how old is this unit? $500 seems a little high if its leaking oil and has a lot of hours. i must say though jd has a great service department.

3. web man

web man LawnSite Member

I dont know how old the machine is. Is there a way of telling the age by looking at the serial number or something?

When did JD quit making the 300 series and why?

4. chopper4ME

chopper4ME LawnSite Member
    from S.E. IA

deere still makes the 300 series they are now 325,345 and 355 diesel. The 300 was a little brother to the 400, my dad owned a 100 at one time and I believe there was a 200 in there also. I own a '91 420, deere switched to the 425 series in '92 backpeddling from the 20's era I believe the "00" series would be early to mid eighties. 5 bills for this mower is a good buy oil leaks can be fixed as your deere dealer will point that out.;)

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 LawnSite Member

Yes, John Deere still makes the 300 Series, however right now the new models are labelled as GX Series. They makes GX325, GX335, GX345, GX355 Diesel. It is the same as the 300 Series. It is just that they are labelled a little differently now on new models.

6. m318x476070

m318x476070 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Here is a link to a great site about JD L & G tractors. There is a link to a page where you can use your S/N to find out exactly what year your tractor was built. Tons of great helpful info. (and people) too.

7. m318x476070

m318x476070 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

8. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

how could you go wrong with a 300 that mows and works fine. $500 was a great price. I just sold a 212 for $1100. It worked fine but leaked a little oil. It's much better than spending $2800 for a new piece of **** lawn tractor everyone is selling.