Used Lazer Z (22hp Kohler) - questions

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by landcruiser, May 14, 2003.

1. landcruiser

landcruiser LawnSite Member
    from Tx

I am looking at a Lazer Z w/22hp Kohler. Model # LZ22KC532 Serial #165281 , Kohler eng# CH22S. This mower has 740 hours but was used by a city. All of the bearings are out in the blade spindles. My question is, what is a reasonable price for this mower given that I am going to have to repair all the bearings in the spindles? I have never owned an Exmark but I am a very competent mechanic and will fix the problems myself. About what will parts cost? I ran the mower and it runs well. Last "zero turn" mower I had was an old Grasshopper 1844D and ths hydro system on these was a NIGHTMARE - are these Exmark hydro systems reliable? Is this 22hp Kohler engine a good engine without particular widespread known problems? Thanks for any help.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Landcruiser,

Thanks for the post. At 740 hours it should have a good deal of life left in it. The engine will be the weakest link so you'll want to check it over very carefully.

The cutter housing assembly with bearings, spacers and retaining rings will run around $85-$90 a piece. Cutter housing assembly with spindle, pulley etc. they'll run closer to $135-$145 each. I'd look at the pulleys real close. That unit probably had cast iron pulleys on the top of the deck and if youÂ’re in an area with much sand you could see some significant wear. Just make sure the belt doesn't run all the way to the bottom of the "V" in the pulley. Once the pulley wears enough for the belt to bottom out it needs replaced.

A full set of belts will run you in the neighborhood of around $75. As long as you have everything torn down this would be a good time to unbolt the self tensioning idlers for each belt then clean and inspect each one to make sure they are functioning at 100%. You may want to unplug each electrical connections, clean and re-pack with di-electric grease to help ensure you won't have any electrical issues. That should be about it.

As far as the hydros go they're pretty solid. You should need to do anything other than a filter and fluid change. You don't need to drain the fluid out of the pumps and wheel motors just the reservoir. Make sure you use an Exmark filter and Mobil 1 15W-50 synthetic engine oil and you should be in good shape there as well.

The Kohler 22 had only a couple of issues but it had them over and over again. These were really component and vendor issues relating to the valve lifters and ignition coils. Both of these would have failed long ago and been replaced with the latest greatest parts so they should be in good shape as well.

This should be a good machine if it's been maintained well.

Let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

Thanks

Terry

3. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Just curious as I have a 22hp Kohler on one of our mowers and it runs a good bit louder than the others with a kind of a tick in the engine as well. I was thinking this could be the lifters but wasn't sure. I had considered replacing the muffler first before doinfd anything else though.

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

UGA,

Thanks for the post.

An exhaust leak will often sound like a lifter ticking. That could explain why it is louder as well.

Thanks

Terry