Used liquid urea too late in year

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Apr 15, 2005.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Just this week we started pushing into the upper 70's. I've driven by some of the lawns we sprayed this week and the bermuda is looking pretty yellow. I just pushed the liquid fert too late into the season.

Surprisingly, no one has called to question or complain.

Would you do nothing and assume that once they mow the lawn everything will be normal?

Or, would you call the customers that were sprayed this week and explain the situation?

Honestly, I can't believe my phone isn't ringing off the hook with complaints right now.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

DFW

Try some sulfur with your urea or go back and apply sulfur. It will take care of your problem. Sorry for the quick answer I don't have time to write a book right now.

3. Enviro Green

Enviro Green LawnSite Senior Member

What rick said, but I can't comment on warm season turf.

However, no need to be looking for fires when there is no smoke. If you are that concerned about your clients, then just call them to see how things are doing and if they have any questions.

Don't give them something to look for. For example, once I had an air leak and the client was home. He watch me for ahwile then I said I have an air leak, ifyou see any problems call me. Guess what, he did. Then, ever after that, I told him all is well and he never calls.

Just my thoughts.

EG

4. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Enviro,

I think that's good advice. Once they mow the burned leaf blades off, everything will be normal again.

Thing I can't figure out is this: When I was in college, I took a summer job with Chemlawn in Enid, Okla. I can't remember for sure when school let out at OSU, but I'm certain it was in May. Probably mid-May or so.

We were tank mixing urea and spraying lawns for several weeks after I started working there at my summer job. The leaf blades weren't getting scorched by the sun. We were at least a full 30 days closer to the summer solstice. I realize northern Oklahoma is a little cooler than the DFW area, but I would think late May in northern Oklahoma would be warmer than mid April in Dallas.

Could the sticker be causing this accentuation of the leaf burn with the liquid urea?

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

DFW

Which do you have Yellowing or Burn???

6. spray guy

spray guy LawnSite Member

on my experience the yellowing wouldn't be because of the urea yellowing it, urea can cause the tips to burn if the conversion to NH3 was present quickly after the treatment converting to ammonia, keep in mind when you drive by bermuda lawns this time of year the yellowing is probably do to simazine being applied with your urea. I have had the same problem in past years and learned that lesson. In the dfw area I usually quit applying simazine around March 1st. Those yards of yours that have a yellow look, will probably look okay within 3-5 wks. They gradually grow out of it. If its tip burn, one mowing usually satisfies the situation. Hope the explanation helps.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

I'm certain it is tip burn from urea being applied with warmer temperatures. We haven't had this problem until this week.

No simizine in the tank. Just Pre-M, Three Way, sticker and urea.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper