Used mower blues

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Glenn J, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

I'm just letting off some steam here....

I picked up a used 48" Bunton about 2 months ago. It's an older unit, but had a practically new Briggs 12.5 engine. It mowed great for a few weeks. Then, the engine blew...cracked the block really good. To make a long story short, there was a dead mouse (mummified) between the cylinder and the air ducting. Once some clipping got in there, no air flow. It was a freak incident, so I bought a new engine, installed it and began to mow again.

Then I hit a root and bent one of the casters. A few weeks later, I hit another root and snapped a caster support. That one had been welded, so I guess it was about due. Sunday, I was mowing the lawn and a blade belt let go. It's didn't just snap, it blew up into about 50 bits of rubber. With tension off the spindle, I noticed that spindle had more play in it than I originally thought. So yesterday, I ordered 3 new spindles from J-Thomas. (I think J-Thomas's kids will now be fully funded for college thanks to my mower.)

My wife asked me what else could possibly go wrong with this mower. I told her that since she asked (jinxed!), I'll probably be rebuilding or replacing the transmission some time in July. :D

Given all that's been replaced, I'm hoping this thing lasts for another 10-15 years. I've practically rebuilt 80% of it. It cuts like no other though. I finished the back yard with the tractor last night and it does not even come close to cutting/striping like the Bunton.
  2. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

Hang in there. A lot of us have been in similar situations.
  3. Glenn J

Glenn J LawnSite Member

Thanks. I guess it could always be worse. At least I don't pay the bills with this mower. Then I'd really be up the creek.