1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

used mower-what to look for

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, May 13, 2004.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I have about $2500.00 to spend on a mower. I have been in business for over 3 years and I have a few residential mows and they are my steady bread and butter but I also get a lot of lawn cleanup in the spring and fall. I also do some landscape work and tilling so I am quite diversified and stay relatively busy.
    In light of this and the fact of still limited funds, what would be a good mower or tractor for me to look for and would I be better off going used? I have been using an MTD 18.5 hp 46" cut tractor but it's starting to show it's age. This thing has been really amazing since it really was never designed to be used commercially but I need to move up.
    What kinds of things do I look at if I decide to go used for now? I wish I could go new but I just can't justify the cost yet. We are a one man and wife operation.
  2. ahfd311

ahfd311 LawnSite Member

I bought a used 48" Bob-cat walk behind last year. The machine was in great condition, and I only paid 1,000. The machine has more than paid for itself by now. Get a good piece of used equipment and you should be set.
  3. terryzrx1200

terryzrx1200 LawnSite Member

I got a used John Deere, GS30, 36" deck, for $900. New it gos for $2,500. Shop around, and if you know nouthing about engines get someone who does to go with you. There are lot of good deals out there. Good Luck. Terry