used mower

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by lawn clipp, Feb 6, 2003.

1. lawn clipp

lawn clipp LawnSite Member
    from indiana

My local dealer is offering a 2001 lazer hp with
    an 18 horse Kohler,very clean, 750 hours for $4,500.
    Is this a reasonable price? Is it enough engine?
    Have there been significant improvements since then?
    Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Lawnclip,

Thanks for the post. Used prices are always a gray area. Anything is only worth as much as you are willing to give for it. That being said, it's about $2200 below what the MSRP would have been when it was new.

750 hours is not a very many at all if the machine has had even reasonable care. If it's been well cared for it should be in great shape yet.

There have been improvements some more significant than others. The best thing to do is to visit your local dealer again and look at a 2003 with zero hours. Does it look like it's worth and extra $2200 to you? That's the important question. At 750 hours the mower has a great deal of life left in it but for another $2200 you get a bright shiny new one with zero hours and a full warranty.

Fortunately there is no wrong choice. At $4500, if it's in the shape you say it is, it may not be there long. We don't see many used Lazers or Lazer HP's on dealer show rooms very often. Quite often the used trade in units sell faster than the dealer can bring them in, clean them up and do a quick reconditioning.

Good luck

Thanks

Terry

3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

It's enough power for most uses, though a little more wouldn't hurt. I just sold a '98 Lazer HP with that engine for $3450 on Ebay in great shape , 1050 hours. Why? I bought another one with the 21hp Kawasaki engine!

To me, at 750 hours, $4500 is getting too close to the price of a new one ($6300?) not to go new, but if your budget restricts you, it doesn't sound like a terrible price.

4. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Ha! How true. My Lazer HP lasted less than a day on Ebay before someone paid my "buy it now" price, and I received 3 other offers to buy it if the bidder failed to pay on time. Resale value, another reason to go with exmark. Paid $6200 driveout 4 1/2 years ago, sold it for $3495 with 1053 hours. Came out to an average cost of about 75 cents per $30 lawn mowed with it. And no costs other than normal wear items.