1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Mowers for Sale - Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doogiegh, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

It's in the classifieds now that some used mowers are up for sale. Do any of these here sound like a good deal to anyone? I'm looking for a 32 or 36" wb:

Gravely Mower, 10 HP, 30" cut with Sulky, gd cond $550/bo

36" BOBCAT MOWER New Honda engine, $800 takes it.

FERRIS MOWER 36" 13HP Kawasaki engine, not used commercially, exc cond. $1500

I know that the 3 of these are all different makes, models and have different qualities to them. I need to start out small, so the one that spikes my interest first was the Bobcat. I checked their website and did searches on here though and found no-place that has a 36" bobcat with a Honda engine? Do they come with Honda engines or is that a re-build? What can anyone say about Honda engines for a 36"? I know I'd have to call to get the Horsepower and stuff, but any first impressions?

2. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

I'd buy the Bob-cat 36". Honda engines are known and proven for their reliability. I just bought a Bob-cat 36" well built machines, stripes very nicely! Ferris sounds nice too.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Think I would keep looking.
  4. harperservices

harperservices LawnSite Member

Keep in mind, you get what you pay for.......
  5. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I would MAYBE lookat the ferris the other two for those prices are probly junk with a ton of hours on them.
  6. plow kid

plow kid Banned

the REAL OLD bobcats have 10 and 13 hp hondas, if it has small wheels in the front and a single speed (Variable) transmission then it is pre 90. For $500 more then the ferris you can get a brand new Lesco 36" Wb mower with a warranty. ~NaTe
  7. shawn'slawns

shawn'slawns LawnSite Member

go for broke i just picked up a new scag hydro 48 inch floater for 4,500.00 used a finance co. called the lawn card? 6mo. same as cash no payments for 5 months. work hard and pay it off. to many headaches buying used!!! if not new find a low hour demo at your dealer remember resale if its cheap now wait till you try and sell it. e-bay also has some good deals just type mower in the site search. good luck
  8. Doogiegh

Doogiegh LawnSite Senior Member

I've been checking out used and also new. I'm get more interested in new, figuring that the headaches aren't worth it if it's used and a piece of garbage.

I'll post my results of what I find on new stuff at a later time. I'm trying to make up a summary of brand by brand, size by size.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I would go look at all those machines you posted info on.. See what kinda condition they are in , Hear them run, Use them , cut with them , Go through every thing.... Check pullys, pull the deck cover and look at spindles, look under deck, Go through all gears on tranny, Engage and disengage blades numerous times, Check the oil and air filters, check the oil itself and see if it's got any crap in it....... YOu never know what you can find , Just because a machine is old does not mean its garbadge... If the owner took good care of it, serviced it and did not abuse it.. Youll be OK... I baught a few Lescos 4 years ago ,, They were about 4 years old at the time, used by a solo operator who only had about 20 lawns.. So they were in great shape, and the guy was getting out of the business, so I got a great deal... Only problem I had to deal with was they sat out side on an open trailer so the Front wheel bearing s had to be replaced. The starter ropes had to be changed and Everything on the outside needed to be lubbed up.. Like the adjustment rods and safteys... Other than that they worked out well , still run them... So go check them out...and good luck