USED MOWERS? need one!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawns By Randy, May 19, 2006.

1. Lawns By Randy

Lawns By Randy LawnSite Member

I have gotten a huge contract of 24 acers I recently bought a Dixon 52'' diesel mower but am looking to get another mower to help the job go faster, I am looking for a Wright Sentar 48'' well maintained I am located in Tulsa so if any one has a mower like this in the local area send me a message!
  2. AdamChrap

AdamChrap LawnSite Senior Member

You are gona use a 52" ZTR and a 48" Stander to do 24 acers? I would be lookign at a 60 or 72 ZTR. Doesn't the sentar have a top speed of like 8mph?
  3. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

72" or WAM for 24 Acres, but then again I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket.
  4. Lawns By Randy

Lawns By Randy LawnSite Member

I dont want to put my eggs in one basket I already have a 52'' mower so next year if I dont get the contract I want to have some diversification in my equipment!
  5. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

Ide go with another Z, as if you invested in a WAM and you lost this account for any reason, youd have one big piece of equipment having no purpose to you and then you would have to take the time to sell it, and in that time, also continue to service the machine. If you got another Z, you can use this on most other accounts i would assume so you would have a use for it with or without this account even though getting this account is the reason for the new equipment. Just my .02
  6. AdamChrap

I understand that, That is why I say don't go with a wam but a 60" Z. You can mow a much smaller yard then you would think with one of these. A 52 and a 48 is not very much difference. Personaly I would do one of 2 things.

1. Keep your 52" Z and buy a 60" Z
    2. Sell your 52" Z and buy a 60" Z and the 48" Sentar

Bottom line, For a place that big you need something at least 60"
    I specialize in big lawns, You do not want to be out there with a 52 Z that goes maybe 10mph
    And a 48" Stander that goes 8mph. Honestly I don't see how you can even make money. For places that big we use 72" mowers just to stay competitive. Also you will be hurting at the end of the day rideing a sentar on a place that big, I demoed one and I wouldn't use one on anything bigger then a acre.
  7. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

I'm with adam (even though he can't spell! lol j/k) but I would sell the 52, get a 72 and a 48.

24 acres is going to take a long time with just a 60 that will go 10mph. You need a good 72 like Adams that will go what 12 at least and cover that extra foot of turf. We used to do a 10 acre church with a 60" lazer and 2 48" tthp's and that took a good 4 hours.
  8. AdamChrap

wish you were closer I would sell you my old 60"
  9. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

The guy never said what the 24 acres looks like. It could be a condo job with a million small areas to cut or wide open mowing. He needs to match the mower to the job.