1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used new Hustler!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Howie's Lawn Care, Apr 5, 2006.

1. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys,
    I finally got to use my new Hustler today. I looked great and mulched well with stock blades. I got some gators, just need to put them on. Is their a difference between gators and mulching blades? I thought I saw both gator blades and mulching blades on the Hustler site. What would be better to use with my mulching kit? I also ordered a stripe kit, one of the last few left since they quit making it for my model. I'm so excited about this year. I'll try to post some pics soon. I got my trimmer rack, blower rack, and jungle boot set-up. I still have a nice big empty space on my trailer with the ZTR and one push. I just can't wait to collect some cash. THanks for any advice and answers to my questions.

-Nick Howard
  2. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Which Hustler? I have a 27/60 Super Z. I never liked the mulch kit, and quickly bought an OCDC. It is alot more productive than a dedicated mulch setup, less clumping, and fast ground speed.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, there is a difference between the blades, I suggest trying both and then sticking with the ones give you the least trouble.

On my old (now sold) 52" Toro, mulching blades gave me the absolute best cut, but on my newer 48" Toros, mulching blades are a complete waste of time and high lifts are the way to go (for me, the mulchers always leave stuff standing).

So, try one, then the other. You might bring the others along or plan on an easy day just in case the mulchers turn out crap and you end up having to run over everything 3-4 times. At the same rate, the mulchers may be better, you won't know until you try.
  4. Howie's Lawn Care

Howie's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Are gators for mulching also then?
  5. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I used the "stock" blade, which came with the mower until they were toast. I switched to Hustler Gator blade and noticed a difference. I ran Gators for a few years and decided to try the factory blade again....I ordered a set of factory standard blades to see how they stacked up....I never sharpened them after taking them off....I run the Hustler Gator Blade...I also recommend using this.....www.qwikchute.com for a indespensible option.