Used oil in two stroke engines

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Korey, Jan 18, 2007.

1. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

I ran out of oil/gas mix and had to use used oil that I had leftover in my truck for my blower and trimmer. The equipment worked great and was wondering if you could use used oil as a mix without causing premature wear.

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

The short answer is no, all I can say is you are lucky! I had a customer do this and he ended up buying 2 new handhelds, to correct oil is cheap in comparison.

3. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Simply Amazing.

4. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

I know a tree guy that mixes motor oil and gas in his saws. He's also a good mechanic. I never understood this.

5. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting. I put in more oil than necessary, but I guess I won't do it anymore!

6. MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds stupid taking a high dollar trimmer or saw and sweating a $1.50 can of oil.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

I had a customer in that told me thats all he does. I cant believe anything he owns lasts as long as it should...but whatever.

He basically takes used oil out of his large equipment and then mixes it with gas for his 2 cycle stuff.

I would not recommend this:nono:

9. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

HA restrorobs face drop is funny,but this used oil stuff is for Adam&Jamie on mythbusters to play with,i did however used to do this sort of stuff on old junkie powersaws all the time with nothing happening,but it was never used oil,just new motor oil mixed rich.

10. davidcalhoun

davidcalhoun LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody want to try 90 weight gear oil next?