used or new

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by puregreen345, Jan 29, 2006.

1. puregreen345

puregreen345 LawnSite Member

i am just starting out would it be better for me to buy a used mower or make payments on a new mower? thanks

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

My best advice to you is buy what you can afford, used in this case.
    Taking out loans is a bad idea for a new business, but really any business.

3. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Looking at it from a different angle, I liked to buy new because of the warranty and my (our) lack of knowledge to repair/diagnose problems with used equipment.

Taking out loans is not always a bad idea for new, or any business. By taking out a loan you establish credit, something a new business has none of and usually needs a co-signer for the loans. Also, loans help with tax writeoffs and the like. Speak to your accountant.

4. Lawn Masters

Lawn Masters LawnSite Senior Member

IF you cant afford new, dont buy new. new is good for the warranty and having something that should probably last you a few years, but used is better to start off with, as long as the machine is in decent repair, and is serviceable, and you can get parts for it when the time to replace em comes.

5. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

The only way I buy new equipment is if I know I have the money right here right now. If there is six months same as cash deal I just put that money into another account and don't touch it till I have to pay of that equipment.

6. E-Z Green

E-Z Green LawnSite Member

I prefer to stay away from pain...oops...i mean interest. We started our 1 push mower and a weed eater to say the least. One of us would mow while to other trimmed. Then we worked up to two weed eaters and a rider mower.
    It's crawl before you walk...for a better foundation.

Demetrius, the country city boy

7. FinerCutslawnCare

FinerCutslawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Here are some things to think about, when you buy something new less chance of something breaking but more expensive. But when you get something used it is cheaper but may have a better chance at breaking! Hopefully that helps alittle.....

8. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Well that's probably the only way you CAN pay, considering you're 15 going on 16 :dizzy:

Most every business of every kind will need to finance equipment, real estate, etc at some point...you think when someone opens a retail store they just had a hundred grand or more in the checking account to get things up and running, to cover payroll, and so on?

9. qualitylawnmanagement

qualitylawnmanagement LawnSite Bronze Member

All my equipment that I've bought was paid by for at the end of season. The only thing that isn't payed for is the truck. So if you know you'll have that that much money to pay for the machine at the end of season to pay for it then I would buy new.

10. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

If you plan on being in this business for a while and expanding, I would invest my money for the future and buy new only if I could afford to do so. If this will just be a part-time, temporary gig, and you don't have the money, then buy used.