1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used or rebuilt equipment

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by usmc2033, Jul 30, 2003.

1. usmc2033

usmc2033 LawnSite Member

Okay, I am fairly new to the business and poor. Does anyone sell used or rebuilt equipment? I need a good used WB or what I really need is a 48" Z that is affordable. I would appreciate any ideas.

I am at that turning point in my business where I need something bigger and faster to grow but am really scrabling for the cash.

I am sure I am not the only one.

This season I have went from 7 to 21 accounts and this is a part time job to put my kids through college.
  2. Referbished equils junk to me.
  3. usmc2033

usmc2033 LawnSite Member

God Father,

I see your posts quite often and totally agree with you. BUT!!!! I am one that tries thier best to live within thier means. I do not favor owing anyone anything.

I have had a slow start and have really stuggled to make things work. I am finally seeing the rewards of being honest and making things work within my means. A long process.
  4. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Finanace. Find a demo unit and finance. I'm not sure what Exmark is doing at the moment as far as their "deals" go, but I'd look into it.
  5. usmc2033

usmc2033 LawnSite Member

Thanks Scag48

So where's your Scag....LOL....I did not see it in your list.

I looked at Scags and really like them the best. They are not opposed to throwing some extra metal on thier machines and we have a dealer here in town.

As far as demo's go. I have definately looked into them but the few dealers here of course favor thier regular commercial guys (and don't blame them).

Thats why I was asking about rebuilt stuff. Just a thought. Maybe we should go into business. LOL... Seriously there does not see to be anyone offering quality, warranteed, used or rebuilt equipment.

Thanks for helping out one of the new guys. It is appreciated.
  6. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Back when I signed up here at LS, I wanted a Scag 48 hydro more than anything. Then Exmark came along...you get the picture. ;)

Honestly, I don't think there is any real refurb equipment out there. Everything is sold as-is and you have to pay to fix it as needed.

What I meant about demo is try to find a unit that a dealer is selling, a low hour demo unit. If you tell them you're in the biz, they better accept you as a "regular" LCO, or I would look elsewhere. If they treat you poorly, you tell them that, let them know that you're not fooling around. Once you've told them you're in the market, they will be on your side. Most will let you know if anything comes in, and will let you demo machines. You just have to start talking to people and start getting them to listen.
  7. So throwing extra metal on the machine is a good thing.

I will take properly placed and there is no need to over do it, extra unneeded weight.
  8. UGA

UGA LawnSite Senior Member

Consider your local paper classifieds; I see used Exmarks, Scags, Bobcats, etc for sale all the time in The Nashville paper. Now they are used, not refurbs but look long enough and you;ll find a deal. I get the paper every Sunday just to see what's for sale. Got my 52" GDane Surfer w/ less than 100hrs for 2400 which isn't a great deal but compared to the new price of 6k just 1 year earlier it was pretty good.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would be very careful buying used equipment from anyone. You don't want something they believe they babied but everyone else would say was abused. You also don't want to inherit someone else's problems. Best of luck to you.

10. JHMlandscapes

JHMlandscapes LawnSite Member

Personally, I probably would never purchase a used piece of equipment, but a few dealers in my area do sell used machines. Just call dealers and ask them if they any used equipment.