Used Plugr for $1800 is this worth it?

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by Exact Rototilling, Jan 25, 2008.

1. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

It was a former rental machine used by the seller aprox 20 times. Looks like it was used more than that.

2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Is that a five hp Honda?:drinkup:
  3. Exact Rototilling

Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic

5.5 Honda yes

Seems a bit more beat up than I would like. Since it was a rental machine it kinda sours it for me. The average renter of eqipment cares little about the lifespan of the unit so the they get hammered IMO.
  4. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

home depot usually sells there rentals for a bit less then that have seen them for 500 to 1000
  5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

It seems odd they would be getting rid of this piece. How much are they new? I don't think you would find this at HD that's why it cost more than one of theirs.

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

Yea, HD usually only have the ryan or bluebird aerators which are not even comparable to the pluggers. Might pull good plugs but the pluggers are much easier to operate and in a whole different level. No hour meter on this unit? I've gotten prices of like $2500-3k+ for the pluggers but I was never really serious about buying. That seems weird as all the rental units I have used always have hour meters. How else would you know when to do maintanence?

I think it depends on what kind of rental place you purchase from...around here, we have several rental places that take EXCELLENT care of their equipment and rent to alot of reputable companys around here. I wouldnt hesitate to buy a rental unit from them as long as the price is right. But then on the other hand, I would never buy from a Home Depot tool rental place. I've noticed that Mr. happy homeowner tends to rent from HD while professionals will go to a professional rental yard. I've seen a handful of homeowners drop an aerator out of a truck or van bc they have no trailer. Now how is he really going to treat that machine when hes at home if their not afraid of dropping it in the parking lot?
  7. RGM

RGM LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Baltimore Md

Depot rents out Bluebird i think there just as good
  8. Mr.GreenJeans89

Mr.GreenJeans89 LawnSite Member

Seems way high for the shape its in.I just bought a toro plugger used(just needed a sprocket,exmark walk behind used and toro seeder,billy goat vacuum,and 2 cub cadets for 1500.00,they all run good but i had to do a little something to each one,he just didnt want to mess with it
  9. DArmfield

DArmfield LawnSite Member

I bought this same Plugger this year. I bought it new for $2700. It is a good machine on flats but don't take it up or down hills. It is also VERY slow. I will buy a split drive Classen next time for the same price.
  10. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Don't know about the price. Didn't like it for hills and all ours seem to have them.

I got a turfco turn aer 4. It's a split drive, fast, and brakes for steering. Do small yards and cut in. For larger areas a tow behind on a tractor.