1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Ryan 28 or New Ryan IV

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Hamons, Feb 1, 2003.

1. Hamons

Hamons LawnSite Senior Member

I'm seriously think of buying an aerator.

I could buy a very nice used 9 year old Ryan Lawnaire 28 for around $2000 or a brandnew Ryan Lawnaire IV for 2000?

I would mostly be using the aerator for 10k and smaller residential yards?

Anyone hae input that will help me make the best decesion?

Jeff Hamons
    Hamons Custom Landscaping
    Overland Park, KS
  2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I depends on the condition of the 28. I've seen lots of them on eBay that pretty much look like crap. Test it out first. If not go with the new one.
  3. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

The 28 is supposed to be sweet to run but some on this bb say they are slow. I have run a la V for the last 4 years and it is great (quick and does a good job). However, you may want to check into the split drive Classen aerators as they are supposed to be MUCH easier on the operator in turns.
  4. bob

from DE

5. bob

from DE

6. Hamons

I wish you wouldn't have posted that -- now others will start bidding on it :D

What do you think -- is that one worth $2000?
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at the Classen. I just bought a Lawnaire V this fall and wish to God I would've looked into the split drive Classen.
  8. Hamons

The I could also get a brand new PL600 for 2200?

Too many decesions!!!!
  9. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

10. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Hamons..well lucky you that I read this post...just kidding...last year I was exactly where you are...had a chance to buy a LA 28....about 7 years old for 2000. Use it allot this past year.

The cam system lets the 28 pull awesome cores...yes its a little slower than I expected...but....most of my clients said they never had better aeration than when I did it. So...I would buy it again...very reliable machine. I did bump my price up about a dollar per 1000 to cover the better, but slower coring....I'm not exagerrating when the other companies here were only able to pull cores not much more than 3/4 inch, I was taking out at least 1.5 inches in hard soil....if you buy it and need any tips...email me...some guys here rave about the Pluggr(sp?)...we dont seem to have any of those around here so cant comment