1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Scag 36" WB - Pricing????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by priwi, Apr 11, 2011.

1. priwi

priwi LawnSite Member
    from SE WI

I'm looking at two used Scag 36" walk behinds and would like some thoughts on the pricing...

Option 1: 51 hours / 6-7 years old / Hydro unit / New carb (from sitting in storage) / Velke for $3500

Option 2: 5 hours / 1-2 years old / Belt drive unit $3000

I will be using the 36 for a back-up and a couple of accounts that my 52" Wright is overkill on.

I would like the hydo unit, but am I asking for trouble on a 7 year old unit?

2. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Option 1 seems way for high for a 36".... yeah its hydro but holy crap!

Option 2 seems fair.... kinda.

Depends on the condition on both of them.
  3. Harry0

Harry0 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

I never used a 36 hydro-but our 2- 36" belt driven are fine for us. I dont think the hydro on a 36" is money well spent.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What engine is on the 36" hydro and does it have a floating deck?
  5. priwi

priwi LawnSite Member
    from SE WI

14 kawi I believe with a floating deck
    Posted via Mobile Device

IRRITECH LawnSite Senior Member

I would not buy a belt drive, but that's me. However, I am with Glenn, $3500 for a 7 year old mower that has been sitting?? God only knows what shape the hydros, hoses, wheel motors etc are in. You could easily drop $1500 in it so i wouldn't pay more than $1500/$2000 and then I would have someone service the hydros, reseal the wheel motors and replace the hoses before I used it. Just my opinion.
  7. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Post some pictures. You interested in taking a trip to Texas next winter with your pickup and a mower in the back?