used scag any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NLService, May 22, 2002.

1. NLService

NLService LawnSite Member

I was going to buy a 36" Scag Belt drive that was older it has
    14 hp kohler engine. It just had a new transmission put in it. It has some rust on the deck and the engine had a new general put on it. Its been siting in the back of the shop for some time now and i just got the work order on it finishe the other day. The guy wants a 1,000 for it. He said if it dosent work out he'll give me a full refund. He told me it ain't pretty but it will do the job. Right now i'm mowing 13 yards with 2 21" snappers and hopeing to get 25 lawns this summer. I like the service the store has. Should I buy it or keep looking. I don't know much about this, but i know i want a scag or exmark. Thanks!

2. robert payer

robert payer LawnSite Senior Member

Saw that you had no replies and wanted to see if I could help. Now I understand why no one has posted help. Yours is a tuff call.
    Can you wait for a much better unit in the paper? Watch a number of papers at the same time. Market value for a good used Scag belt drive is about $1400.00 in my opinion. Still a lot to check for in any used mower. Would you want the payment on a new unit? Just a thought.
    Used:
    Do you trust the dealer?
    Is there slop in the spindles?
    Does each gear work properly?
    Any cracks in top of cutter deck?
    How does it cut with good blades?
    Transmission pulleys needed replacing? (Jackshaft pulley)
    Belts?
    What is your instict? Go with it

Good luck!

3. scagman

scagman LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds to high to me $$

4. ADLAWNCUTTERS

ADLAWNCUTTERS LawnSite Member

if you like the machine i would go there with $650.00 cash in your hand wave it in front of him and tell him not a penny more

5. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Sounds high to me as well. I just saw a couple go, one 3 or 4 years old, looked to be in good condition, 12.5 kaw, for $600. Another not as good of condition for $650. I would never give 1,000 for it unless it was homeowner used and in great condition.

Jay