Used Scag Turf Runner Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by onelegjohn, Apr 18, 2004.

1. onelegjohn

onelegjohn LawnSite Member

I have searched the archives for information on the Turf Runner. I have come up with a lot of negative. I have seen them pretty cheap ($2200) with about 500 hours on them. I see that the Kawi had problems but the Kolher was good. Are they really that bad or are people using them for the wrong application? It seems that they would have a specific niche to me. I see a bunch with busted gear boxes - pretty common. But for light use wouldn't they be handy as heck? For leaves and such? Anyone LIKE the machine?
  2. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

I had one until about 3 months ago. I only onwed it for 2 months. I bought it used. The mower performed great, except the engine had to be pretty warm to engage the blades. It was comfortable. THe downsides in my opinion, a pain to sharpen the blades because each blade has retaining screws (to protect gearbox in event of hitting rock, stump etc). Also, it is big, and long. It is hard to see behind you, and your turns can't be very sharp next to trees etc cause you'll hit them with the hopper. You have to get off to dump the hopper, but thats not a big deal to me. YEs, they are kind of specialized. I've heard they provide an excellent cut, and the one I had sucked leaves up great. I did'nt really get to mow with it however.

3. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Mine had a kohler. It was the second engine (the first one had an overheating pblm and it was under warranty). The machine had about 500 hours on it.
  4. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Run away my brother, run as fast as you can from those machines. I paid the price by buying a slightly used one. They are a maintenance nightmare, all seem to have problems with the "very expensive" gear box. The box leaks, and you have to stand on your head to put oil in it. You have to get under it somehow to grease ******** zerks. The blade attachment is a joke beyond words, needing tiny little bolts to hold the blades in place, only to have them shear off if you hit a mole hole. Then have fun changing blades in the field, or better yet, enjoy unplugging the always plugging chute to the hopper. I have spoken to Mechanics who loathed them, also note everything is expensive to repair, and none will be under warrenty. Scag made them for a little better then a year I believe, or it could have been two. The point is, they know they are junk. My dealer told me they were junk.

I would like to be more negative about my experience, but I have to get to work.