Used Scag Turf Tiger or New Outlaw

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luc78, Mar 10, 2011.

1. luc78

luc78 LawnSite Member
    from IL

I wanted to get some feed back on a couple ZTRs. I am looking at a used 2006 Turf Tiger 61" w/27hp Kawi with 930hrs and the guy wants $5,200. It is a nice machine, well maintained is this worth the price? Or should I go with a new 2011 Bad Boy Outlaw 61" with 30hp Briggs Cyclonic pro for $6,800 out the door? I'm not sure about buying used since most are commercial and it isn't always the owner doing the mowing, but instead someone who doesn't care about the equipment as much

I have 6 acres with about 4 mow-able "for now", lots or trees ( a couple apple) and a couple larger hills. I will also use to pull de-thacher, utility bed, etc and maybe a couple lawns on the side.

Any thoughts?

2. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Thats a great price for the Outlaw. I'd go with new versus used. The Outlaw is great on hills too.

3. luc78

luc78 LawnSite Member
    from IL

Thanks! Anyone else out there?

Also came across a 2007 Lazer Z 60" with 23 Kohler & 900 hrs for $4,500 or a 2009 52" Hustler Mini Z with 300 hrs for $5k.

Is the Outlaw the best bang for the buck? That's what I am leaning towards

4. SouthSide Cutter

SouthSide Cutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Why are the other mowers close in price used to the BB new. That should tell you something.

5. luc78

luc78 LawnSite Member
    from IL

So I should assume that the other used mowers are better and hold their value? I have heard mainly good things about the Bad Boy, but the hrs on the used are what concerns me to some degree. I am new to this, so should I not be worried?

6. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I would go scag for the dealer support. What dealers are in the area.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Stick with the Outlaw, stay away from mini z not even in the same catagory as the others.The 2007 Exmark may have the earlier version of Triton deck which was garbage like the Hustlers XR7 was. I've owned all these mowers except the Turf Tiger. I would go with the Outlaw. Very comfortable compared to the rest, cuts almost as good as the others mentioned, better than Hustler. Pulls hills well, pulls aerators etc too. Just a very well built machine , and new the engine will last for 2500 hrs who knows when the used machines will need hydros, new engine, spindles, clutch etc etc.

The Outlaw is and will last longer than any used machine pushing 1000 hrs.

8. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

I highly doubt that. The briggs engine won't outlast the kawi. The tt's proven design would be hard to outlast even with a 1k hr headstart.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. torotorotoro

torotorotoro LawnSite Senior Member

it would be better to just throw your $$$ away now and not wait till you pick up your new mower.where did you hear all the good things about the outlaw. as for me bb is the greatest mower in the history of mowing.

10. wall

wall LawnSite Member

If you do not already have one get a tractor with a front end loader and blade or bushhog instead of a ztr. I have both and the tractor is used all the time,,,, ztr one day a week 4 months of the year. Just a thought.