Used Scag, what is it worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Elkbow, Sep 24, 2006.

1. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

I have located 2 used Scag ZTR's for sale and I would like your opinion on them. I've been considering a Hustler Z, but it's hard for me to justify almost $7000 for home use, mowing maybe 5 acres per week.

The first one is Scag Turf Tiger with a 61" deck. It has a Kohler Command 27hp air cooled engine on it, And the mower has just over 1000 hours on it. I have seen this mower and would say it is in good condition. It has been used commercially for 2 years. I believe it is a 2005 model. What would be a good price on this mower?

The second one is also a 2005 Turf Tiger with a 61 inch deck with liquid cooler 29 hp Kawasaki. It has less than 150 hours, and was not used commercially. I have not seen this mower, but I have seen pictures and it is really clean. It most likely will be out of my price range, but I have not gotten a price on it. What would be a good price on this mower?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

If the Turf Tiger with 1000 hrs is in great condition it is worth $4500- $5000. The Turf Tiger with the 29 DFI new cost $10,500- $11,000. I think it is worth about $9,000 or so depending on the condition. This is just my opinion it is hard to tell with out knowing the condition of the mowers. I have a Turf Tiger and have been please with it. I would run the mowers before you make any decisions.

3. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the reply, LLandscaping. Any other opinions? Do the prices Adam posted sound about right to you?
    Is there anything I should really watch for that is a problem area with Scag mowers? What is their "weakest link", so to speak.

4. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Any other opinions, please. I need to make a decision soon if I am going to get one of these used mowers, or someone else might buy them first. Should I just stay away from a used Scag all together?

5. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

I called a large Scag dealer today, and he said you can count on the hydros and pumps having to be replaced between 2000 and 3000 hours. Is this a known problem with just Scag mowers, or is that a problem with all of them? Would you be worried about that? What is the life expectancy of the engine, and other major components?

6. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

The engine and hydro life depend on how well the machine was maintained. The main thing with any engine is to keep the oil changed and the air filter clean. The hydro fluid only needs to be changed every 500hrs. There is no weak link as I know of on Scags. It is important to keep the spindles and other grease points greased every 100hrs. I like to grease my mowers about every 50hrs and change the oil every 25hrs.

7. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

The owner says it is well maintained, but I guess they all say that.

8. steve45

steve45 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I bought my used Tiger Cub, I figured that the average life expectancy was about 2000-2500 hours before major problems. I pro-rated the value based on that. I paid $3200 for a 48/21 with just under 1200 hours. This was about half the price of a new one, plus I saved $500 in sales tax.

I saw better deals on Ebay, but not within 500 miles of where I live. I looked for 3 months before I found this one.

9. Elkbow

Elkbow LawnSite Member

Have you had any problems with the used Scag you bought? How long have you had it now and how many hours? Are you using yours commercially? Are you happy with it?
    I am looking at $4000 for the 61” 27 hp Turf Tiger with about 1050 hours.

10. acelawns

acelawns LawnSite Member

I am looking for a 36" walk behind scag, If Anyone has one please let me know. Thanks