Used Scags Mower...(pics)

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lurch, Mar 7, 2007.

1. THEGOLDPRO

THEGOLDPRO LawnSite Fanatic

yeah they both look about 15 years newer, lol and much better.

2. e-RoK

e-RoK LawnSite Member

Depends on how it operates. Try it out. Can you fix what's broke? A little paint will do wonders with the visuals. Remember it's your money you're spending. Don't worry about what others say.

3. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

I'd buy one of those other two. WAY WAY better shape and newer as well.

4. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

You're not listening to what everyone is telling you. You may be strapped ... but obviously you have close to $1500. to invest in a used mower. What they are telling you is that there are way, WAY better mowers out there for that amount of money.

It doesn't matter how mechanically inclined you are ... it is not worth the money. Heck ... I wouldn't even show up at a customers home with a mower like that. Do yourself a BIG favor, and keep looking.

5. martinfan06

martinfan06 LawnSite Senior Member

WAYYYYYY....TO MUCH 350 MAX, keep looking if you have 1500 bucks you could find a much better mower.

6. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

I sure do. I even sold a christmas tree to him this last year. i havent been to his shop, but ive heard good things about him.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I'd pay $200 for that. Not a penny more. Way to old of a machine! If you are just starting out, that is not something I would want to rely on as a daily mower.

8. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

yeh, really were just trying to help. you can get a really good w/b for 1000-1500. really, its just not worth your time to go with that mower. and prestige said it best, i wouldnt show up to a customers house with that mower

9. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

You are asking for headaches if you buy a mower that old thats obviously been used hard. I thought you said this is your 2nd year so do you really want to possibly have mechanical issues and let your new customers down already? Check ebay, I found a 02' Ferris 48" hydro for $1500 that only had 50 hours on it. You might have to drive a few hours but it would be over before you know, you'll be back home and have gotten a much better deal than that first mower. Take the advice of almost EVERY single person in the post, with disregard to the 1 that said its your money. It is your money, just dont buy that first mower.

10. Lugnut

Lugnut LawnSite Senior Member

Sometime's it doesn't matter how great of a mechanic you are, you can't fix junk. This mower may run now, but how long will it continue to until something major goes wrong with it that require parts to fix...even used parts will run a bill up pretty fast. The person who buys this may be able to get it for 400 but with parts soon they have another 400 in it and they ended up putting 800 into a mower that is still junk after $800. For 800 they could have gotten something alot newer and more reliable...