1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Used Sprayer

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by pyrocare, Feb 8, 2003.

Should I buy the sprayer

1. Yes buy it

3 vote(s)
  2. No don't buy it

2 vote(s)
  3. No opinon either way

1 vote(s)
  1. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

I have the chance to buy a used sprayer from a former lawn care guy in this town. I will be in need of one this spring since I am starting to do lawn apps a little bit more than I used to, so I will either buy this one or buy a new one. Please keep in mind that I am trying to keep the costs down.

I am asking you guys whether or not this is a good deal.

200 gallon sprayer with 300' of hose and lawn gun, it is mounted on a trailer and has all of the parts on it in working order. There is no electric hose reel just the hand crank. Does $1000 sound like a fair price to you.

Thank you in advance
  2. philk17088

philk17088 LawnSite Fanatic

I would test it to see if the pump is good and the hose should be unrolled and checked for cuts, splices ,etc. If everything is good thats not a bad price if it is a quality unit. I'd get the electric windup put on ASAP!
    Try before you buy.
  3. Sounds a bit high

2 big cost items on a spray rig

#1 engine/pump combo avg price is $650

#2 Electric rewind hose reel cost $500.
  4. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Unless you know the unit or are real good friends with the current owner I would pass. If you buy it and the engine goes you will be close to the price of a new unit. And from some of the information I have seen around make sure it has NEVER had roundup in it. The last item is not from personal experience just what I have been told by others when I was trying to find a sprayer
  5. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I don't know a lot about spray rigs, but the Brand name of the rig and engine might help use decide the value. Also, how old is it?
  6. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

The guy that I am buying this from is the one that I bought out earlier this year. He told me that he just replaced the pump last year with a new Hypro. It has a Honda 5 hp for the engine. Originally when I was buying him out I was going to use only granular for the lawn apps., now once I have started to look at the cost difference between granular and liquid for some of the chemicals I decided to buy a sprayer.
  7. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Did you buy just accounts or other equipment also, if so, you should have some idea of how he takes care of his equipment, and if you can trust what he says. Probably not a bad price if that is the case, you are going to hate that hand powered reel before the year is out.
  8. pyrocare

pyrocare LawnSite Member

We bought both the equipment and the accounts. The equipment seemed to be pretty well maintained. The sprayer itself has been stored in a shed at the moment.
  9. Weedburner

Weedburner LawnSite Member

I would have to see the sprayer to give you a fair appraisel. The value of the trailer would add some to the outfit. If the pump and motor is in good shape that would save some money. You can put together a pretty nice sprayer for a $1000 dollars. (If you are going to buy a new power hose reel that will add some cost.) There are a lot of wholesale places to get sprayer parts that are just starting to send out thier 2003 catalogs. I built one of my sprayers and added some features I wanted. Does this have filters and agitation? Are you happy with the gun? Hose in good shape? Do your accounts lend themselves to dragging a hose or would a small pull behind fit your needs better? 300 gallon is a lot of water if you plan on offering differant formulations. If the answer to most of these questions is yes, might not be to bad a deal.