Used Stihl FS80......Whats it worth?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by o-so-n-so, Oct 25, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have the opportunity to buy a 1 month old Stihl FS80 trimmer. What do you guys think its worth. (not an e-bay purchase...its from a friend thats downsizing) Like new condition.

I already own 3 units with the same power head.
  2. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Has he given you a ballpark figure?
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

$200 if its a month old and hardly used would be ok.
  4. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

You can get a new one around here for $260 so I probibly wouldn't give over $200 for it even if its only a month old.
  5. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

the price on trimmers depreciates very fast. after my last experience, i would never buy a trimmer used unless I knew exactly where it is coming from. trimmers are the most used and abused piece of gear on the trailer and they can get the crap kicked out of them pretty fast.

I would say $160.00 to $200.00.
  6. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Can get for 2 bills..................and i think the dealer will transfer the warranty (we both buy at the same small town dealer that knows everybody and their brother)

7. cutnedge

cutnedge LawnSite Member

Just consider that one month as the break-in period.Great trimmer. Grab it up!
  8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

List price on my FS-80R was 269.99, however the dealer's computer listed it for $259.99, so I got $10 off, but I used that to buy a spool of string and a box of 2 cycle oil. Total ended up being right under $300 because of tax.

I'd say used for $175.
  9. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is a great machine. I would think under $200.00 would be right if the seller can be trusted to tell you if it has been abused.

10. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Try to offer 160 and work up till you hit about 185. How many hours on it?