Used the Z to pull Aerator

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TarheelTLC, Oct 23, 2007.

1. TarheelTLC

TarheelTLC LawnSite Member

As you may know from my other post I am new and limited on funds. Today because of a time constraint and limited trailer space I pulled the aerator with my Everride Hornet. On top of everything else it had some good hills that even though it didn't sound like it I am sure put it under some strain. I have a old Craftsman tractor that I normally use for that duty. I saw some other post asking this question a few weeks ago but can't find it. Using it one time like I did, could it cause any damage? In the manual it says 200lbs but there is no way of knowing. I have 8 4inch solid concrete blocks, plugs digging in, and the hill. Would that equate to more than 200lbs? Weight alone the answer is no.

2. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

your fine.

3. robertsturf

robertsturf LawnSite Bronze Member

I pull a trac-vac aerator 48" with weight, with my Wright Stander, and have done so for 2 years with no problems. I works great, electric switch to raise and lower the tines, and a hitch to turn without raising them.

4. TarheelTLC

TarheelTLC LawnSite Member

Thanks.....I thought that I had read in a thread here that it was not a good idea. Bad for the Hydros..... Until I get a bigger trailer it will still be used occassionally for this.

5. cybervision

cybervision LawnSite Senior Member

No Problem.

Keep in mind most manufacturers sell Vacs for their mowers. These things must weigh 200+ lbs empty. Add several hundred more pounds of grass and you have a lot of additional weight. It's funny that they will sell a Vac which can add well over 500 pounds of weight to the machine but most won't commit to a towing capacity. And it is much better to tow extra weight than have it on the tow vehicle.

Dixie Chopper is one that does advertise a 2,000 lb towing capacity on their machines. I have not looked into what brand pumps and motors they use but most are basically the same.

6. Rons Rightway Lawncare

Rons Rightway Lawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

I use my Wildcat to pull my aerator and haven't had a problem yet - well I take that back, I have had the belt the runs the pumps break once while aerating, but that belt had over a years worth of use on it when it happened.

scag.jpg